PDA

View Full Version : A decent homepage?

Wade Lippman
09-09-2014, 10:54 AM
I am just looking for a homepage that gives news and weather; without entertainment, sports, gossip, horoscope, etc, etc.

I used MyYahoo for 5 years before they ruined it.
Then MyGoogle for a few months before they discontinued it.
Then MyMSN for a year before they canceled it.

I looked through half a dozen possibilities and they are all terrible.

Anything like MyMSN out there?

Matt Day
09-09-2014, 11:01 AM
CNN? Their mobile site at least will display weather after you enter your zip, and it remembers it.

Wade Lippman
09-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I tried it. It is mostly stuff I have no interest in, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to customize it.

Tony Joyce
09-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I replaced MyGoogle with igHome. Not quite the same, but I've learned to work with it. I looked at several & igHome seemed to be the best replacement.

Tony

Jim Tobias
09-09-2014, 11:53 AM
+1 on IgHome. I had to replace MyGoogle when it went away. IgHome is not perfect but it does allow you to customize and select what you want to a large extent.

Jim

Wade Lippman
09-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks. It is way better than anything I have found.

Larry Browning
09-09-2014, 1:02 PM
I am just looking for a homepage that gives news and weather; without entertainment, sports, gossip, horoscope, etc, etc.

I used MyYahoo for 5 years before they ruined it.
Then MyGoogle for a few months before they discontinued it.
Then MyMSN for a year before they canceled it.

I looked through half a dozen possibilities and they are all terrible.

Anything like MyMSN out there?

MyMSN got canceled? When did that happen? I visit that site every day. It still works for me.

Wade Lippman
09-09-2014, 1:10 PM
MyMSN got canceled? When did that happen? I visit that site every day. It still works for me.
It terminates on 9/30. The replacement is crap.

Larry Browning
09-09-2014, 1:15 PM
It terminates on 9/30. The replacement is crap.
wow! I think the customized news sites must be really losing popularity MyGoogle and now MyMSN. I agree, the so called replacement sites are just crap!

Pat Barry
09-09-2014, 2:34 PM
I just don't see the point of a homepage. I just bookmark pages in my browser and use the bookmarks toolbar. Then everything you really want is always there - no need to go back to a homepage.

Jason Roehl
09-09-2014, 2:46 PM
I set The Weather Channel (weather.com) as my home page, set to my locale. I usually have some form of 24-hour news station on TV while I'm on my laptop, and I get local news in my Facebook news feed.

Larry Browning
09-09-2014, 3:24 PM
I just don't see the point of a homepage. I just bookmark pages in my browser and use the bookmarks toolbar. Then everything you really want is always there - no need to go back to a homepage.

For me, I prefer to have one page I can quickly read the headlines I am interested in, along with seeing my stocks, my favorite sports teams, what movies and showtimes are playing at my local theaters. Etc... It doesn't necessarily need to be set as my home page, but I want a site I can go to, and not have to do a lot of clicking to see all the things I have an interest in. Much quicker and convenient than a whole bunch of bookmarks.
But apparently more and more people prefer to do a lot more clicking than I.

Justin Ludwig
09-09-2014, 3:27 PM

+1. My homepage is a search bar. For everything else, it's a simple shortcut at the top of Firefox. When I save those shortcuts, I delete everything in properties so all I see is the "favicon". If the site provides no favicon, I'll make a note beside the shortcut.

Greg Portland
09-09-2014, 6:01 PM
wow! I think the customized news sites must be really losing popularity
Feedly on Google Chrome is great. I can organize all the news I want (+ WWing blogs, etc.) all on one page.

daniel lane
09-09-2014, 6:57 PM
This is an interesting thread. For as long as I can remember, my browser home page is a blank page. I never liked waiting for the inevitable slow-loading home page, and 99.9% of the time, I'm going to go to a bookmarked location, anyway, so...blank page.

I'm thinking I'll check out some of the suggestions here to see if it's worth changing my practices, now that broadband speeds are fast enough for quick-loading pages.

That's twice today I've discovered I do something simply because of inertia.

daniel

Tony Zona
09-09-2014, 8:11 PM
If you like eclectic, try refdesk.com.

I used that for a while. It was a nice break.

Bill Orbine
09-09-2014, 8:46 PM
I' m on Google News. http://news.google.com It's really about paying attention to the source of the headlines or the sponsors when navigating. I used to do Yahoo...now, it's terrible!

Soon..... I'll be back to buying news papers.

Larry Browning
09-10-2014, 8:14 AM
For me it is not so much about it being my homepage, I like a simple search page like bing or google as a home page. I just want a customizable news site that I can get quick headlines and info that I am interested in. I usually go there while I am eating lunch at my desk at work each day. I don't want to sift through stuff I am not interested in to find stuff I am interested in.
BTW, I think the new MSN format looks interesting, it just needs to be a whole lot more customizable. It does allow setting up you own stock quotes and a little customizing of the news, not not so much on the sports. I want to be able to highlight my favorite teams, especially college sports because there are so many and it takes forever to find my teams scores.

Dan Hintz
09-10-2014, 8:37 AM
For as long as I can remember, my browser home page is a blank page.

Since I'm always looking for stuff, I set my home page to the Google search page. It's a 50/50 shot whether I'm opening a browser to search for something or go to a bookmarked site, so on average it saves a few seconds.

Alan Bienlein
09-12-2014, 9:03 PM
I use OfficialHomePage.org. Nice and simple no adds or other annoying things.

Rick Potter
09-13-2014, 3:32 AM
I am on MSN, and have been trying the new home page for a few days now. It seems to not be able to decide whether MSN or Bing is my home page. I never know which one will come up when I turn on the computer. One thing I have noticed is that MSN certainly doesn't want to carry a Fox News spot on its home page. Lots of places to go talking about Fox, but cannot seem to get FNC to show up on the page. Sports show up, but not news.

Rick P

Steve Rozmiarek
09-13-2014, 10:08 AM
I set foxnews as mine, scan it, then proceed to the three local news sources, then move here nearly everyday. If you really want a specific set of info, I think one of the google apps in chrome will do it. I like the random things that pop up that I never would have considered, sometimes. For example apparently someone named Katy Swift has a feud with Tailor Perry or something, who knew?!

Rick Potter
09-13-2014, 11:34 AM
I guess I will have to do it that way, Steve.

I actually have Verizon Fios, but it includes MSN as a 'free' upgrade, so I have been trying to go through them to avoid having too many 'layers', but MSN news is pretty bad. It gives you eight leading stories, of which, this morning, six are non news......like tabloid stuff, or click farming.

Being a computer dummy doesn't help either.

Rick P

Dave Lehnert
09-13-2014, 1:58 PM
I use OfficialHomePage.org. Nice and simple no adds or other annoying things.

Thanks for the link. Looks like it may be a keeper.