PDA

View Full Version : 2 x 72" belt grinder

brad jansen
09-08-2014, 9:16 PM
Sorry, had a build along but photobucket pics are not pasting in correctly. I will include a few pics of the finished project

brad jansen
09-08-2014, 9:27 PM
296323Finished pic with belt attached.

Bruce Page
09-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Brad, you've built another beautifully crafted piece!

Keith Outten
09-09-2014, 1:24 AM
I agree with Bruce, your sander is a real beauty...

brad jansen
09-09-2014, 7:58 AM
Thanks guys. I have plans and a parts list that I put together in case anyone wants to build one, and happy to share with anyone.

Larry Fox
09-09-2014, 9:06 AM
Brad - very nice looking sander indeed. Nice job. Question for you, what is the "plate" material for the sides and would you mind sharing where you got it? I am cooking up an idea for a ripping jig (among others) which will accept a replaceable ZCI for my euro slider and the material you used there looks like it will fit the bill nicely.

Thanks in advance for your time.

brad jansen
09-09-2014, 9:42 AM
Sure Larry, it is just 6061 aluminum- 1/2" thick. It is polished and jeweled as you can see.. I purchased this batch from an e-ba-y seller called Exactmetals, but you can also get it from onlinemetals.com (if you do search for a coupon code for onlinemetals...there are always some out there for 10-15% off an order).

Larry Fox
09-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Sure Larry, it is just 6061 aluminum- 1/2" thick. It is polished and jeweled as you can see.. I purchased this batch from an e-ba-y seller called Exactmetals, but you can also get it from onlinemetals.com (if you do search for a coupon code for onlinemetals...there are always some out there for 10-15% off an order).

Thanks very much Brad. I will check them out. If my jig turns out 1/2 as nice as your sander I am in business.

Matt Lau
09-18-2014, 2:52 AM
Brad,

I would love a copy of your plan and parts list.

Mikail Khan
09-19-2014, 7:31 AM
Very nice grinder. Thanks for posting.

MK

Rick Markham
10-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Nice grinder! You will love using it! I use my industrial belt grinder constantly, I don't know how I got along without it.

Leigh Betsch
10-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Great looking belt sander. I need to add one to my shop someday too. If you are publishing plans put me on the list!

Ron Brese
11-07-2014, 7:16 AM
Nice belt grinder and the engine turning on the frame parts adds a nice touch.

Ron

Dale Schafer
11-09-2014, 4:25 PM
Very well made machine congratulations on the job.

I have a question in regards to the design. The tool arm slot is in a vertical gang of four. What is the reason for this? If you insert a second arm for a tool rest doesn't need to be off set to the left?

I'd love a copy of the plans also.

Cheers.

brad jansen
11-12-2014, 7:13 AM
Dale, the multiple tool arm slots allow you to not only adjust the height of the specific tool you are working with,but also allows for easy adjustments of tool rests as you mentioned. Those rests do not necessarily need to be offset to the left. If clearance becomes an issue with the specific tool a couple thousands could be taken off the side of the last 8 inches of the tool rest arm. Send me a pm with your email and I will get the plans over to you. Thanks

ronald driggers
09-24-2016, 7:48 PM
This looks great, I would like a copy of the plans if I can get them, Thank You, Ronnie

James Combs
09-27-2016, 8:20 PM
Thanks guys. I have plans and a parts list that I put together in case anyone wants to build one, and happy to share with anyone.

WOW that looks like it is just off the showroom floor.

Strange coincidence, two guys on a woodworking forum, I am in the process of building one also but it won't be nearly as professional looking as yours. I "had" two treadmills that I have disassembled and am salvaging for parts and materials. Will be using the motor and controls. Bought the D-backing plate and the tracking wheel from eBay. I am making a 4" drive wheel for the treadmill motor. Bought a set of 6 different grit belts from KnifeDogs. Just need to put everything together. I will post pics of it when I get it done.

Wood love to see your plans just to compare notes. I am making mine because I am expecting to have to make more knives.

Mark Baldwin III
10-10-2016, 11:47 PM
Nice grinder! Curious about the choice of a contact wheel for a drive wheel though. With the expense of contact wheels, some $$$ could be saved by using a purpose made drive wheel.
Only recently got into the 2X72 world myself, with a Wilmont based machine. So liberating to have a purpose built piece of machinery like that.

brad jansen
10-18-2016, 9:37 PM
Thanks. I am glad I am getting a bunch of requests for the plans. Mark, the contact wheel for a drive wheel was simply because I had that as an extra In the shop. I have since replaced the contact drive wheel with a 5" aluminum drive wheel to increase the belt speed a bit for increased efficiency on ceramic belts.

Carroll Courtney
10-23-2016, 3:14 PM
Dang,one of those have been on my bucket list for couple yrs now.If you should get a chance please send me a copy also,I am getting very close getting setup to do some machining since I now have a mill.Brad that is a fantastic job,I was wondering if you could talk alittle about how you made those swirls in your metal?-----Carroll

Jim Ritter
10-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Nice looking grinder Brad. I sent you a PM.
Jim

brad jansen
10-28-2016, 8:54 AM
Carroll, check out this link. This was the first grinder I built and towards the end you will see how I did the engine turning. Its pretty simple...just glue on a small sectino of a scotchbright pad to the end of a dowel rod or bolt, chuck it up in the drill press and take your time as you work down a clean (ideally polished) piece of metal.

http://www.unitedbowhuntersofillinois.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=820

Carroll Courtney
11-12-2016, 5:54 PM
Brad thanks for posting,that is awesome,love that jeweling(?)now I see how its done. You have alot of time invested in your grinder,that is top of the line and dang it looks fantastic.----Carroll