PDA

View Full Version : Remodel / custom built-ins

Chad Easterling
09-08-2014, 8:30 PM
Good evening! It has been a while since I've been on the forum, but I wanted to share some work I am doing.

A few years back we added sunroom to the back of the house. We left the windows between the house and sunroom intact. I really hated those windows and finally got the go-ahead to replace them over Labor Day weekend. In the pictures, the white built-ins were done before the sunroom was added. I did those as well.

Process so far-

1. Remove those ugly windows! Took the sashes out and removed remaining vinyl trim with a saws-all. All that was left was the basic framing of the window. I then built the box that fit inside the window opening. There is one fixed shelf and two adjustable shelves per box.

2. Framed up the seat back for the bench seat. This resulted in a shadow-box affect. I then put bead-board on both sides. The last picture in this group is the sunroom side with the shadow-box on the bottom.

296314 296315 296316

3. Removed all the doors, lids, shelving, etc. from the original built-ins and started painting.

4. This last picture is of the built-ins as viewed from the living room side. I installed the fireplace last fall. Did the framing, rock work and mantel.

Thanks for looking! I'll post pictures of the final product when it is done.

Chris Padilla
09-10-2014, 4:29 PM
Looks good, Chad! Do keep the thread updated!

Jim Becker
09-11-2014, 4:07 PM
Nice work!

Chad Easterling
09-19-2014, 9:44 AM
Finally! I've been sick and out of town, but got one of the built-ins done. The adjustable shelves aren't in the top, but the rest is there.

The paint on the grills is actually a mottled scheme with black, gold and green sponged on them. The picture doesn't do it justice. The cushions for the seat are currently being made by my mother.

This was actually a lot of fun and makes a huge difference in the look of the room. Things actually look finished and not half-done like it did with the windows there.

Got to make a cutting board for a raffle the first weekend in October, so I've got to get this wrapped up!

Thanks for looking.