PDA

View Full Version : How come we never see this on the news

Tom Mullane
07-09-2005, 7:40 AM
Is it me or does the news really tick you off when they refuse to show this...
Take a look at the link
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/THISWILLMAKEYOUPROUD.HTML

Michael Gibbons
07-09-2005, 9:53 AM
Thats "Awesome" Tom. It's good to know that the truth will never be fully hidden from the public. It seems odd that the media would make a murder in some small town priority over our heroes but it happens. The dreams and ideals of our founding fathers are in no way the liberal media's. If it were up to them, we would all be sheep getting sent to slaughter, only being feed information that they deem necessary. Heck, a lot of or children are not being taught the basics we grew up with so basically our future is in trouble.

Ray Bersch
07-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Sounds like Medal of Honor material to me - why only the Navy Cross? Not to demean that medal - it is a great honor but this was certainly valor above and beyond the call of duty - except for Marines.

I am back from Maine for a few days, but I would like to relate a quick story about a local newspaper article - it is a weekly paper and it featured a front page, large print headline story about a returning local hero from Raymond, Maine (the town in which I own a summer lake home.) "LOCAL HERO RETURNS HOME" was the headline and the sub title read "Raymond soldier returns home...." Upon reading it I immediately sent a e-mail to the editor - first thanking him for the front page coverage and second to request that he address this Lance Corporal as a Marine, not as a soldier and that his newspaper follow that as a policy in all future articles about Marines - I pointed out that we Marines are a little tight about that - although technically "soldiers" we prefer to be called Marines. It is a title earned upon graduation from boot camp or OCS and it is a title that can never be taken away - it will remain with us for life and it is a title that each and every Marine is proud to bear - from the rawest boot camp graduate to the Commandant of the Marine Corps - we all proudly answer to the title of Marine.

Within an hour of sending my e-mail I got a call from the editor - he thanked me for my e-mail, assured me that he will make my request a policy from now on - then he asked me several questions about the Marine Corps and our pride - he was totally unaware - "Really?" he said a couple of times - Well, at least he cares and is willing to learn - but it sure does make me sad to realize how little this current generation knows about our military.

Maybe I'll post the letter - which I am sure will appear in today's addition of the paper - but most telling will be the responses to my letter that may appear next week -

Ray

Earl Reid
07-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks for sharing. I forwarded it
Earl

Ken Garlock
07-09-2005, 1:12 PM
Excellent post!

There are several very large newspapers that would not know the truth if someone beat them over the head with it. Name the 3 largest cities in the US and you have the papers :mad:

Vaughn McMillan
07-09-2005, 3:10 PM
Thanks for the post, Tom. Sad but true statement about being fed a view of the world through "media goggles". The LA Times (which I subscribe to just to read the comics) is so biased it's almost humorous...until you realize a substantial number of people are believing it as gospel.

Either end of the left-wing/right-wing spectrum bothers (and worries) me. My personal beliefs and opinions are such a mixed bag, I'd drive a demographer absolutely nuts.

- Vaughn

Chris Padilla
07-09-2005, 5:02 PM
Not to put a damper on this but how do we know anything on that web page is true? While it is certainly nice, brave, heroic, etc. and certainly stuff we like to see and read about and it gets all warm and fuzzy but be careful. I'm sure stories like this do happen...we just don't seem to hear about them for some reason.

However, the point of the page is not lost on me and everything that's been said in this thread is true near as I can tell...the media is biased and it seems that all we hear about is death and destruction and anyone messing up is force-fed upon us until we are sick.

But, I must ask you, WHY does the media do this? It must be working because if it didn't, we wouldn't be watching the news or buying the newsapapers. We must be asking the media to do this, no?

I don't read nor subscribe to newspapers (no time, no interest) and I don't typically watch the news or mainstream (what is that exactly? ;) ) TV and I've learned the hard way to always be cautious of ANYTHING on a web site. It is sad because I've been burned enough times that I may miss something really true. Still, I try to keep an open mind as much as possible.

Dave Anderson NH
07-09-2005, 5:33 PM
It makes me cringe every time someone asks, Oh, you were in the Army." I, like you was a Marine and earned that title both at Paris Island and in combat. I also agree with your assessment about what was awarded. But then again, you know how conservative the Corps is about awarding medals. I've seen Marines awarded a Navy Commendation with V for acts in which soldiers got a Bronze or Silver Star.

Dave
"B" 1/7 1st MARDIV '68-'69
MOS 0311

John Shuk
07-09-2005, 5:57 PM
All I can do is sit back and Thank God for men like him.

Pete Simmons
07-09-2005, 6:00 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Padilla]Not to put a damper on this but how do we know anything on that web page is true? While it is certainly nice, brave, heroic, etc. and certainly stuff we like to see and read about and it gets all warm and fuzzy but be careful. I'm sure stories like this do happen...we just don't seem to hear about them for some reason.

Looks true. Check the Marine web site.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/lookupstoryref/200456162723

Ernie Nyvall
07-09-2005, 6:50 PM
But, I must ask you, WHY does the media do this? It must be working because if it didn't, we wouldn't be watching the news or buying the newsapapers. We must be asking the media to do this, no?

Actually we are not. Many media ratings have been on a downhill slide for a few years now. Sometimes keeping an open mind can be a way of not making a decision.

Thanks for the post Tom. It's a great story.

Ernie

Jerry Olexa
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
The liberal bias of the mainstream press strikes again....You know Dan Rather would have reported it if he didn't take early retirement.:D :)

Robby Phelps
07-10-2005, 12:05 AM
EXCELLENT POST TOM!!! Made my day.

Aaron Koehl
07-10-2005, 5:11 PM
Let's all remember not to bring any <a href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php">politics</a> into this..

Arnie Grammon
07-10-2005, 6:41 PM
Let's all remember not to bring any politics (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) into this..

With all due respect, Aaron, the media has already brought politics into this......Tom was merely trying to give an American hero his due.

Arnie

Jamie Buxton
07-10-2005, 7:22 PM
"This will make me proud"? No, it makes me sad.

Michael Perata
07-10-2005, 11:47 PM
First of all - every serviceman or woman over there is committing an act of bravery every day. Some get recognized, others just do the job they have been asked to do.

Secondly - maybe the press is not reporting all of the good things because they are not allowed to go everywhere they want, like in Vietnam and the First Gulf War. Bush the Second has put a lid on the press' ability to report on war activities because the Bush administration doesn't want to answer any tough questions, good or bad.

Thirdly - it is only the liberal media reporting "bad stuff" because you don't like what the liberal media says. For one, I'm tired of the conservative talk shows - it seems they can never find anything good to talk about and need to denigrate the folks who'll end saving this great nation, out of necessity, since a lot of folks won't listen to the liberal media.

Donnie Raines
07-11-2005, 9:18 AM
Awesome...simply awesome.

The networks numbers are indeed down.

Rob Littleton
07-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I just met with a guy that has just returned from Iraq. He is a based in California. He was here in Arizona to hook up with his family and come by and shake my hand for the pen I sent him.

He tells me pretty much what the pictures tell. He said the Iraq's on base absolutely love the American and British troops and he was even invited to an Iraqi wedding along with other members of his group. He was saying that as he walked the streets, the Iraqi people were feeding him and his friends and loving them. They treat the allies like family. He has some really neat photos from his travels and this IS the stuff you wont see on TV. He even become friends with the spider monkey that lives on base owned by a local. :-)

Kinda neat to see the other side of the war that not everyone sees.

Donnie Raines
07-11-2005, 11:01 AM
I just met with a guy that has just returned from Iraq. He is a based in California. He was here in Arizona to hook up with his family and come by and shake my hand for the pen I sent him.

He tells me pretty much what the pictures tell. He said the Iraq's on base absolutely love the American and British troops and he was even invited to an Iraqi wedding along with other members of his group. He was saying that as he walked the streets, the Iraqi people were feeding him and his friends and loving them. They treat the allies like family. He has some really neat photos from his travels and this IS the stuff you wont see on TV. He even become friends with the spider monkey that lives on base owned by a local. :-)

Kinda neat to see the other side of the war that not everyone sees.

Rob,

I have had two family members serve in Iraq and in Afganistan. They echo to some extent, the same thing you have heard about the situation in Iraq. Things are far from perfect...but they are better then we think.