PDA

View Full Version : LED bulb hiss

Stephen Tashiro
09-08-2014, 3:43 PM
Is it normal for LED lightbulbs to hiss?

I put a "Utilitech Pro #0382623" 75W equivalent LED bulb from Lowes Hardware in the light by my bed and it hisses. It makes a soft "white noise" type of hiss that I can hear when my head is ear it. The sound isn't unpleasant. However, on the web one finds reports of accidents such as: http://www.saferproducts.gov/ViewIncident/1222032

Greg Portland
09-08-2014, 4:31 PM
Some of the LEDs I have exhibit transformer hum. But it sounds like you're hearing something different...

Dan Hintz
09-08-2014, 8:13 PM
If it is truly hissing (and not just buzzing), it could be the electrolytic caps venting... that means they are short-lived for this world and will very soon give up the ghost altogether. A dry cap can catch fire, as was likely the case with the accident report you link to.

Frank Drew
09-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Stephen,

Other than that, how do you like the light quality?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Frank,

After replacing 2 bulbs, 1 designer globe and one regular, with 40 watt equivalent LEDs, being happy with the light and the reduced actual wattage (8 vs 40).......my wife bought another dozen globes this afternoon and just left to buy another dozen of 40 watt equivalent regular shaped LEDs while Costco has their 1/2 off sale going. The sale ends today.

Stephen Tashiro
09-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Stephen,

Other than that, how do you like the light quality?

It's satsifactory. The bulb is "soft white" and in a reading lamp. I would prefer light that was more yellow - like that from an incandescent bulb.

Frank Drew
09-10-2014, 9:05 AM
Ken, Stephen

Thanks; if I find some nice pricing I might get a few to replace some CFLs (which I don't hate).