PDA

View Full Version : Macbook internet connect issues

Kev Williams
09-08-2014, 3:01 PM
I've got the thread going about changing over my phone & internet to Ooma and Cable, and since I've changed over to cable internet, my BIL's Macbook won't stay connected to the internet on our network. Had no problem before, using an Actiontec DSL modem/gateway. I've replaced the modem with the cable modem, and added in a Belkin router to take care of the DHCP address duties. And ever since, when he gets here in the morning with his laptop, he has internet service for about a half hour, then it just goes away. His computer's IP is on the Belkin client list, his laptop shows it being connected, it says he has internet service, all the IP and DHCP numbers are correct, security is correct, nothing comes up 'wrong'-- but none of his many browsers, on the MAC side or the Win7 virtual side, will connect to the internet after he loses the internet. He has a 'renew lease' button in his network settings, that doesn't help. Turning off the firewall in the router doesn't help. Turning the wifi off and back on doesn't help. Changing networks back and forth doesn't help. I've searched online for a possible solution, the ONLY viable symptom was a DHCP conflict, if another router was on the network. I DID have the old modem- actually two of them- on the network, used strictly as ethernet hubs. I replaced them over the weekend with an actual hub, same thing happened this morning.

He has no problem at home, and he's taken it in to Geeksquad twice, and after hours it won't disconnect from their wifi. Only does it here.

:confused::confused::confused: -- does anyone have a guess?

Thanks in advance!

Rich Enders
09-08-2014, 3:18 PM
I had a different problem, and used Apple's chat within tech support. It took a while, but they stayed with me step by step until the problem was solved.

David Masters
09-08-2014, 4:03 PM
This was pretty common three or four years ago, but I haven't heard of it lately. My guess is that the way the Belkin router handles channel switching confuses the MacBook Pro. I would do a scan of available networks using one of the free network analyzer tools available through a Google or Bing search. Look for channel conflicts with other wireless networks close to you. Configure the Belkin router to use a channel that does not conflict with the networks around you. Most routers that are configured for channel 6 (the default), they will automatically switch channels within a 5 channel (+/- from 6) range as noise from conflicts is determined to be beyond the router's threshold. The Belkin router also has an auto channel switching selection, which in this case should be turned off and a specific channel selected.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you should also check firmware on the Belkin router and update to latest version.

Kev Williams
09-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Router firmware is up to date-

I had the DSL modem set for channel 9, I thought I'd set the Belkin to 9 but it was on 'auto'. I've set it to channel 9 now, but won't know if it helps until tomorrow morning...

Ok, it's tomorrow morning-- :) -- Well, I checked the router and even tho I set it for channel 9, it's back on "auto" again...? And, the Macbook won't do internet at all. I ran thru the network preferences, all is well, ran a network diagnostics, shows connected, all addresses correct, and the diagnostic ends with [something like] "your internet connection appears to be working normally." ...
But it's not! http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/nilly.gif

Chuck Wintle
09-09-2014, 3:05 PM
Router firmware is up to date-

I had the DSL modem set for channel 9, I thought I'd set the Belkin to 9 but it was on 'auto'. I've set it to channel 9 now, but won't know if it helps until tomorrow morning...

Ok, it's tomorrow morning-- :) -- Well, I checked the router and even tho I set it for channel 9, it's back on "auto" again...? And, the Macbook won't do internet at all. I ran thru the network preferences, all is well, ran a network diagnostics, shows connected, all addresses correct, and the diagnostic ends with [something like] "your internet connection appears to be working normally." ...
But it's not! http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/nilly.gif

you mentioned that if the wifi is shut down then turned back on the connection is still no good..have you tried to reboot the laptop? my laptop will disconnect for no reason on my home network but it will reestablish with a disconnect and reconnect. it sounds like a router issue and maybe its a setting that is missed?

Steve Baumgartner
09-09-2014, 6:35 PM
Does the network icon on the menu bar show the Mac as connected or not? I've found that my Mac will sometimes determinedly hang onto a WiFi signal that is so weak or noisy that it can't get any throughput. It shows as connected, but nothing goes through. Moving to somewhere that the signal is better fixes it. May not be your problem, just my 2 cents.

Phil Thien
09-09-2014, 6:58 PM
That Belkin router may just be carpy. Many of their current line don't have very positive user reviews at Amazon or Best Buy. They previously were more consistently decent.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-09-2014, 9:17 PM
Every now and then this happens with my MacBook, but not to the degree you're describing…. The quick fix every time for me has been to click on the wifi symbol in the menu bar, and turn wifi off, then back on again. It usually on happens with the terrible wifi at the laundromat.

Kev Williams
09-10-2014, 12:17 AM
I'm beginning to think the router is the problem. His Macbook always shows connected, always to my network and router, and it's all of 20' from the router, signal is 5 bars. His phone (android/T-mobile) started acting up today too. The wife told me her Iphone was acting funny yesterday. I have security camera's that are on the network, I keep an IE window open as a monitor, more than once the screens have shown 'DISCONNECTED". Then there's the channel changing back to Auto after I've set it manually. And today it assigned the same IP address to different computers on the network at the same time.

Time to go buy a Linksys I think...?

Or, suggestions? FWIW, at any given time I have 10 computers, 2 to ?? cell phones (depends on who's here), the WII, the Playstation3, the security cameras, Ooma and our Sharp TV on my network....

David Masters
09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
My personal experience is that Netgear and Apple's routers work well with MacBooks. Several years ago, Linksys and D-Link routers had some problems, but I haven't heard of connection problems with these routers in some time.

Jerome Stanek
09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I thought Apples just works but not with everything that others do.

Bill ThompsonNM
09-11-2014, 1:07 PM
I've got Cisco, NetGear and Engenius routers. I'd have to say we have more problems with the Cisco and more problems with routers supporting more protocols with my wife's airbook and my Linux laptop. My NetGear router always gives her a solid connection. It appears that the Mac drops the connection to save power and then the Mac and the Cisco have trouble renegotiating a connection.
The older Belkins were really solid but the last one I got was flaky enough to get replaced in 3 months.

Kev Williams
09-11-2014, 4:30 PM
Thanks all--

It WAS the router...

Best bang for the buck I could find for a new one was a Netgear N750 dual band router. Took me a half hour to set it up and reboot everything to get new IP addresses... everything, including the Macbook, is working great! The only issue to resolve is getting my camera's settings changed so they show up online.