PDA

View Full Version : second workbench. .... How tall??

Brian Hale
09-08-2014, 9:42 AM
Ready to build a second workbench that will be 20' long and 18" deep and attached to the wall under 3 4' x 4' windows with cabinets underneath for storage. Original thought was the same height as my workbench (32") but now I think taller might be better, something like a kitchen counter height of ~36".

What would you do??

Brian

lowell holmes
09-08-2014, 9:57 AM
Knuckles high standing in front of bench is what I use.
It so happens that my table saw is the same height. If I recall properly, it is 39".

Daniel Rode
09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
The answer depends entirely on what you intend to do at this bench, how it's height might relate to other tools and benches in the shop and your personal preferences.

It's like asking which girl to date :)

Also, 20' long? That's 4 times longer than my bench...

Ready to build a second workbench that will be 20' long and 18" deep and attached to the wall under 3 4' x 4' windows with cabinets underneath for storage. Original thought was the same height as my workbench (32") but now I think taller might be better, something like a kitchen counter height of ~36".

What would you do??

Brian

Prashun Patel
09-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Will the other bench be near this one? If yes, then there is an argument for them to be the same height; one can serve as auxiliary support for the other.

If not, then I think there's value to having the other one taller; it's more comfortable for some operations like chiseling, sawing and assembly. Honestly, the only thing I like my 'low' bench for is for planing.

Brian Hale
09-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Yes, it is a bit long but skinny.

My ts is 34" along with its outfeed table. Beyond that is a 3' gap and then the workbench at 3' x 9' x 32" high, another 3' gap and then the new bench. What I'm finding is my main bench is a bit low for cutting dovetails so I may use the new one for that along a small area for sharping / honing and handsaw sharping. Other than that it'll be a big horizontal surface to catch the overflow from the main bench.

Brian :)

Doug Hobkirk
09-08-2014, 12:23 PM
I made a second bench for the workshop at Household Goods Recycling. The shop is about 20x25 and the work is overwhelmingly repair.

The original bench is table height (about 30" x 12') with a medium machinist vise
The assembly table is probably 20" high (3' x 3')
The new bench is 42" high (30" x 72")

There's a not-very-good full width woodworker's vise at one end (it doesn't get used much)
It is the bench of choice for most furniture work, and the table height bench is used mostly for lamp repair
Construction -

The top is a mix of oak and maple that I made out of abandoned table leaves from dining room tables and banded with maple - I used a DeWalt power thicknesser at home, joined the boards using biscuits to improve resistance to movement
The above top "skin" (1" thick) sits on a plywood base (2 x 3/4")
The base is just a simple plywood structure that's pretty rigid
Finished with Danco (?) Oil

Jim Koepke
09-08-2014, 1:15 PM
What I'm finding is my main bench is a bit low for cutting dovetails

My thought is building a bench based on only one aspect of woodworking may be a mistake.

This is where a Moxon vise fits in.

If a long bench was in the works for me the height would be based on a comfortable height for planing long boards and the use of bench hooks.

If your current bench feels right for most of your tasks then stay with what works.

jtk