PDA

View Full Version : Is this surface rust? How do I clean / prevent recurrence?

Mike vonBuelow
09-07-2014, 8:09 PM
Looking for tips on cleaning the (rust?) off the main rails of my ShopSmith - here's what I'm up against

Hi-grit sandpaper? CLR? Both?

And is there a good lube or something I can put on afterwards to minimize a recurrence? I have lithium grease on hand (used for my CNC and Laser threaded servo rods)

Cary Falk
09-07-2014, 8:19 PM
A green scotch brite pad with some mineral spirits will work. So will a wire wheel on a drill. After it is clean coate it with some Johnsons paste wax or somenting like T9.

Mike vonBuelow
09-07-2014, 8:25 PM
Thanks Cary -

How about the potato method : youtube video qYgnHDB3VNI

Cary Falk
09-07-2014, 8:38 PM
Two weeks and a smelly mess to boot. No thanks. I could have had the tube cleaned buy the time the video was over. If I wanted to make a mess, I would set up an electrolysis bath. At least that is fun to watch.

Myk Rian
09-07-2014, 9:48 PM
Make a paste of Bar Keepers Friend. Then use mineral oil to protect it.

Jim Andrew
09-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I've used paste wax and Boeshield to protect my cast iron tops. And then I will notice some rust on one of my tops. So, one day I cleaned up all the tops in my shop and gave them a thin coat of urethane. Not one speck of rust since. Did the new Hammer top before it could become rusty. No need for a second coat as it does not soak in, but does protect the top very well with just a very thin coat.

Dave Cullen
09-08-2014, 9:27 AM
I would attack the surface rust first, using one of the spray cans you can get at any hardware store. The one I have is Rust Buster or something like that. I think most of them are phosphoric acid based. You spray them on, wait a bit, wipe them off. Or, use WD-40 and a scotch pad - that works well too.

Once the surface rust is gone you'll need to address any pitting that might have raised high spots. An abrasive roll or a flexible disc sander can take them down.

Once it's clean, oil and / or wax.