PDA

View Full Version : revive darra james 9" bandsaw

Todd Stockham
09-07-2014, 7:15 PM
Hello - I was given an old ToolKraft Darra James model 385C 9" bandsaw that I'd love to get into working order. It's mostly in decent shape, but the tool vibrates enough to effect an unclean cut. The bottom bearing has a little play, and I can see that both the bottom wheel, and outside belt wheel are slightly warped. Surely all of these things are attributing to the vibration. Should I start with replacing the bearing?
Does anyone know if replacements can be found? As well as directions (and a list of necessary tools) that shows how to replace them?

Thanks for any advice!

Al Launier
09-07-2014, 7:23 PM
Is this of any interest to identify parts? eBay item: 290765004481

Todd Stockham
09-07-2014, 8:33 PM
Thanks, Al - It might help, and I've emailed them. At least its a start! I wish I had a bad-a$$ 4-jaw bearing puller to get the bottom wheel off. The belt wheel won't budge (probably how it got warped in the first place.)

Gus Dundon
09-08-2014, 2:23 PM
Here's a good site http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=6634

keith wootton
09-08-2014, 3:45 PM
hi todd,

try googling toolkraft and or darra james. they still have a webpage and parts. i had a very similar bandsaw and liked it. very good for cutting small toy parts because you can mount it at the perfect height for your eyes and make it run at various speeds. i got new tires for mine. can get lots of vibration from belt, you might try a link belt.

keith

Myk Rian
09-08-2014, 3:58 PM

M Toupin
09-08-2014, 4:15 PM
It's a Darra-James model 385C. It appears it use a combination of bronze bushings and ball bearings, which from your description, are probably in pretty bad shape. Bearings should be standard sizes and available from any decent bearing house.

Here's the correct manual for free
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/240/6634.pdf

Mike

Todd Stockham
09-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks to all of you... Especially Mike, for sourcing that manual. It's a bit late tonight - always lots of work for daddy! I'll keep the threads going throughout the process! Plus, I did get an email from ToolKraft - they said they still make parts for it.. Sweet!

Gus Dundon
09-11-2014, 3:28 PM
That's sounds great. Are you gonna use it mainly for curve cutting or few resaw? What's the motor size?

Todd Stockham
09-14-2014, 9:46 PM
only going to be used for small projects, it's too small for resaw... powered by an old quarter horse. I've used it once to shape these walnut 296788296789cabriole legs.. but I spent too much time sanding the marks down. gotta get it cutting more cleanly.