PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for an Axe!

Bill Orbine
09-07-2014, 6:51 PM
Not chopping down trees! But for hacking away old tree stumps. Most of the old stumps I have are coming apart easily but not without a good work out. There's some good meat left down in the heart of the stump. I broke my axe long time ago and using a splitting maul just isn't the right tool. The maul works, but it's more of a splitter than a chopper. A nice axe will work easier... the long handle kind. I need a good work out and a nice axe will do! What should it be? Can I avoid the BORG? And the BLURG?

Justin Ludwig
09-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Pawn shop first. Then your local Mom and Pop hardware.

David Weaver
09-07-2014, 10:54 PM
If you're going into stumps (and that includes dirt), I'd get something somewhat soft that can be filed easily. That would include just about anything from china these days.

If you're thinking you'd like an axe that will be a nice feller or limber later but without spending much money, I'd buy a kelly axe on ebay, and buy a handle for it locally.

John Sanford
09-08-2014, 9:46 PM
Council Tool Axes (http://www.counciltool.com/DisplayCategories.asp?pg=displaycategories&category=10)

Odds are, you can find what you're looking for there.

Rich Engelhardt
09-12-2014, 7:46 AM
A reciprocating saw will make short work of those stumps.
Just use demolition blades and they last a long time.
The specialty pruning blades snap off too easily.

Kent A Bathurst
09-12-2014, 3:09 PM
Telecaster. The classic.

Ooops. Wrong thread. My mistake.

Larry Edgerton
09-12-2014, 7:14 PM
For the kind of work you are doing I use a Fiskers. I have a Council but it is too expensive and too hard to sharpen. The Fiskers have nice balance and have the best handle design ever, as well as being indestructible. Steel is fairly easy to sharpen when you get a big nick. I use their splitting ax as well and split 10 cord of maple with it this year. That being said, I am on the prowl for a splitter, its still hard work.........

Larry