PDA

View Full Version : First Project-Crib Finished

Jim Benante
07-08-2005, 11:31 PM
I have finished a crib even before my first child is born! I think the little one will arrive this week.

Here are the pics.

I used different harware then the plan called for and this caused me some problems. I still need to get the front gate working flawlessly.

I routed out the area for the front gate hardware as I realized late in the game that an extra inch would be present on the front gate and that would make things not square.

I hate the mattress spring! It caused some scrathches and really the plans I used don't allow enough room for it. I had to bend the brakets to make it work and this is also causing the problem with the front gate mentioned above that causes it to come out of its track on one side. I think I can resolve this, but the solution has not come to mind yet. Anyone use the products america crib harware or dealt with a mattress spring for a crib and had problems.

I finished the crib with rubbed on BLO then sprayed one coat of dewaxed blonde shellac then 3 coats of Target Coatings WB lacquer. In about 10 days I will buff the crib, but it already is pretty smooth. I did buff lightly after the shellac application was dry (1 day) with a white scotch brite type pad to remove the surface imperfections.

Oh yeah, it is maple and the darker pieces are canary wood.

Jim Benante
07-08-2005, 11:32 PM
A few more photos of the crib

Von Bickley
07-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Jim,
Great looking crib. I'm sure that it will become a family heirloom.

Gail O'Rourke
07-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Gorgeous, really, a great job.

Jason Tuinstra
07-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Jim, very nice work.

Chris Padilla
07-09-2005, 12:17 AM
I love the buttons...walnut?

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-09-2005, 12:52 AM
I think the buttoins are great, too. Very nice touch.

KC

Jim Benante
07-09-2005, 2:08 AM
I love the buttons...walnut?

Canary wood. They turned pretty dark after the BLO since it was end grain. If you look at the other accent under the top of the headboard that is also canary, but it didn't get quite as dark. Canary has some nice red streaks in it and is a nice looking wood. It seemed to machine well except it did splinter on one of my routed edges. I plan to make a changing table/dresser with canary and maple as my next adventure in WWing.

Dan Forman
07-09-2005, 3:22 AM
Very nice! Congrats on the crib and the little one.

Dan

Jim Becker
07-09-2005, 8:30 AM
Now, that is really nice, Jim! Great job on a very attractive crib.

Robert Ziegler
07-09-2005, 8:34 AM
Nicely done. Congratulations on the crib and the user.

Mark Singer
07-09-2005, 8:39 AM
Really great job! Very nice design!

lou sansone
07-09-2005, 11:59 AM
great job, but you know that you are setting yourself up for a lot of other bedroom furniture as your children grow. I am sure you don't mind though

best wishes with your family
lou

Rick de Roque
07-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Nice job.
Rick

Frank Hagan
07-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Outstanding! I really like the mission styling of this one.

Its a shame you're having trouble with the springs and the front gate hardware. I'm building a cradle for my first grandchild, but a crib would have been a better choice ... they use a crib for so much longer.

John Miliunas
07-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Jim, I'm thinking that crib will be with the Benante family for generations to come!:) Great job and now we just need to wait for pics with the crib occupied!:D :cool:

Corey Hallagan
07-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Excellent Job Jim! That is a great looking crib. As John says that is destined to become a family piece!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
07-09-2005, 2:27 PM
I agree with Chris...the dark buttons really set the whole thing off nicely. Good job!

- Vaughn

Roger Everett
07-09-2005, 3:43 PM
Really nice Jim, sure to be a family heirloom. I remember in my family, we had a handdown that got pasted around all my grandfathers ( mother's side) childeren and on to the all the grandchildren. A warning though soon as we all pasted it on to another cusin or sibling, we would need it back in a very short time, kinda like giving away baby clothes.
Roger

Jim Benante
07-09-2005, 9:23 PM
Thanks for all the nice words and to those who helped me with questions I had along the way.

Closet doors went up today in the baby's room so now its just a waiting game. I worked off some anxiety today by chopping firewood. My wife is pretty tough, she did yard work all day and she's 3 cm dialated. It won't be long.