PDA

View Full Version : More Pearl-Ex Experiments

Bob Bergstrom
09-06-2014, 10:00 PM
This bowl has many coats of different mica powders over various base coats of paint. These are a few of the results. Depending on the base coats and how much of various powder was applied the reflective color can change considerably. I used a series of black, red,purple and blue as base coats. The powders were manipulated with a dry brush, Saran Wrap, a feather or a sea sponge. Each trial was covered with a coat of clear lacquer.

Bill Hensley
09-07-2014, 7:33 AM
I'm a sucker for some color so these work for me, especially the tops of the 2nd and last pieces. I'd be interested in more trials results.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the process, it's something I've not played with.

Eric Gourieux
09-08-2014, 1:06 PM
What an interesting experiment. It's amazing how different the same bowl can look with different color treatments. Mica is on my short list. Keep testing and posting!

Bob Bergstrom
09-08-2014, 3:05 PM
What an interesting experiment. It's amazing how different the same bowl can look with different color treatments. Mica is on my short list. Keep testing and posting!
The second and last photo are actually the same. It was just how the light reflected the color. The last photo of the bottom and interior photos are the final on this piece. I am doing a demo on this tonight at our club, so maybe I can cut a few parts and post them.