PDA

View Full Version : How I spent my vacation

Steven J Corpstein
07-08-2005, 9:57 PM
I've been working on this project for 2 Summers now and since I used power tools and it IS working with wood, I thought I'd share with all. Don't try this at home. :)

Greg Torok
07-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Looks fantastic!

jack duren
07-08-2005, 10:18 PM
im with "fantastic". :) . ....jack

Bob Noles
07-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Steven....

How about details :cool:

Corey Hallagan
07-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Looking good. I do not envy you, I hate that kind of work, but you obviously excell at it!

Corey

Steven J Corpstein
07-08-2005, 11:21 PM
This is my Fiancé's home, and since she had no money to invest (she's putting a Daughter through college), and I didn't want to invest a lot since we are going to sell it when we get married, I decided to do it the old fashion way. No vinyl siding, just too expensive.

I used a heat gun and a putty knife, then sanded with a PC ROS. I've got nothing but praise for that PC ROS. I've sanded every square inch with it and it's still going.

The siding was in such bad shape from being neglected for 18 years that I needed to get to a fresh layer of wood. I've actually worn down a putty knife about 1/2 inch between the sharpening and wear. Most of it was cedar boards, some had to be replaced.

It's been a trial since most of it was done after work at night, and I'm no Spring chicken, regardless of the temperature or how tired I was. The south side just about killed me, it was in the 90's for 3 weeks in Iowa!

I must say when I finish at night and peruse what I've accomplished, there is a certain satisfaction that money doesn't buy, sore muscles and the knowledge that I did it.

Von Bickley
07-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Great job Steven... :) :) :)

Lee DeRaud
07-08-2005, 11:32 PM
I must say when I finish at night and peruse what I've accomplished, there is a certain satisfaction that money doesn't buy, sore muscles and the knowledge that I did it.That...and beer. Lots and lots of beer.:D

Seriously, you did an incredible job, but the "standing and looking at it afterwards" is the only part that sounds like any kind of fun.:eek:

Corvin Alstot
07-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Very impressive.
Some one owes you a great dinner.

Dan Forman
07-09-2005, 3:43 AM
Very impressive, especially with the description of what you've gone through to get it there.

Dan

Norman Hitt
07-09-2005, 6:15 AM
Steven, it looks Great, and I can sure Feel your Pain AND Pride. 52 years ago when I had just finished the 8 th grade, I needed a summer job in a small town where there were no jobs, Sooooo....when my Dad made a kind of "Firm Suggestion" ;) , I agreed to paint my Grandfather's house (which hadn't been painted in nearly 20 years) and I was to get $100 and I had to provide all the labor, materials and paint. It seemed like it was going to take all summer to finish it. I had No power tools, just a scraper, putty knife (and putty), three wire brushes, hammer, handsaw, two paint brushes, a block of wood for a sanding block and LOTS of Sandpaper. When It was Finally ready, I liberally brushed on two coats of Linseed Oil, (which that old siding sucked up like a Vacuum cleaner), then primed with a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and paint, followed by a 3:1 mixture of paint to linseed oil, and then a final coat of paint. It did look great when I was finished, and really lasted a long time.

Some years later the house was sold, and the new owners decided to have it painted a couple of years after they moved in which was 24 years after I had painted it. I was told that they hired a professional painter, and then barely 4 yrs later, had to paint it again. "They were complaining to my aunt that they just couldn't understand why My paint job lasted so long but the professional painter's job didn't.

My aunt knew the Story and told them; Well, the Professional painter wanted to get to do it again soon to make a living, but my nephew told his dad that he did an extra good job on it, because he sure didn't want to be asked to Paint it again. :D I have Hated painting ever since, and will do just about anything to dodge Any kind of painting if at all possible, (which ...unfortunately, hasn't always been the case). :mad:

I will admit though, that I always felt a real sense of pride every time I drove by that old house and saw the paint still looking good, or heard someone comment on how good it looked, but I sure didn't make any money on that job. When I started getting queries from other relatives about possibly painting their house, I hunted, (and found), a job on a large Ranch the next summer. :D

As good as yours looks, I highly suggest that if any friends or relatives comment on it and ask if YOU painted it, tell them, Heck NO, I Hired it done. :D

Alan Turner
07-09-2005, 7:17 AM
Steven,
Your fiancee owes you big time; I trust you will collect. You should never been seen doing dishes!!!!!! I have to say that when I see vinyl siding, I almost become ill. I know that is just personal, but I really dislike that sort of treatment for a permanent structure, even though in the context of cost, it is much cheaper than going with wood. When I got married recently ('98) I was "told" (she would say she "suggested") that I had to rebuild the back room/porch as it was covered in ugly metal siding from a prior owner. As luck would have it, and as a testament to her wisdom, when I did the demo, it turned out that the corner 6x6x's were totally rotten, and the thing was about to come down from the weight of the smallish slate roof. 6' x 8'. So, we propped it up, put in a fresh structure of corners, framing door and windows etc., and had some cedar milled up. Now, 6 years later, looks great. But, it needs repainting, and I was wondering if you and Norman would mind stopping by.

Norman, that is a wonderful story. I grew up in South Dakota, and like your home, there was no such thing as a summer job for a kid unless you wanted to pick berries or throw bales, and I hated both. So I also painted our home one summer, but I don't recall that it was as grueling or rewarding as your experience.

BTW, my bride is a terrific painter, and does not mind it either. I certainly married up, as those several of you Creekers who have met my bride can confirm. So, if you guys can make it over, she will be glad to paint with you.

Mike Cutler
07-09-2005, 7:32 AM
Steven. It looks great. I wish I could take your advice about "Don't try this home" but... :rolleyes:
I'm with Norman. I hate to paint, so I try to do the best job I can so that I don't have to do it again any time soon.
Nice job, and the others are right. She owes you a beer and a nice dinner. ;)

Frank Pellow
07-09-2005, 8:04 AM
Nice job Steven. It's great to see re painted wood, not the fake vinal or aluminum stuff. :)

But, I notice in one picture, that you still need to do the garage. :(

I have done similar jobs more than once, but unlike Norman and Mike, I still like painting (and, with my Festool sanders, I even like sanding).

Jim Becker
07-09-2005, 8:28 AM
What a great restoration, Steven! Wow...a lot of elbow grease in that one, too...

Kelly C. Hanna
07-09-2005, 8:33 AM
Wow...nice job. The house we are buying has the same exact siding I believe....I am going to have to do the same thing eventually. Your house can be our inspiration!

Robert Ziegler
07-09-2005, 8:39 AM
Wow Stephen - that looks like a great job. After all that work and workmanship, it seems a shame to sell it. I am feeling the same about our fixer-upper.

Norman, that was a wonderful feel-good story. Made my day.

Bob Nieman
07-10-2005, 9:57 AM
One of the things I like about SMC are all the pictures of cool projects. I share them with my wife and she oohs and aahs and we talk about what I should do once I am feeling more confident.

This is NOT one of those posts! If I sent this to my wife I know what I would be sentencing myself to doing (thankfully the wood surfaces are limited, but enough to last the summer, I'm sure).

Instead, while she is gone next week i will finish the cutting table I built for her, that she started using immediately, despite a few rough spots and no finish. At least that is what I have told her.

Steven, I am in awe.