PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight motors

John T Barker
09-05-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm looking to buy a replacement motor for my 55 year old jointer. I'm looking at the motors at Harbor Freight but despite 30 years using these tools I am ignorant about certain aspects of motors. These motors have their uses printed on the box including fans, compressors, etc. No woodworking machines mentioned. Why? Are they good for machines like jointers?

Second...how do I wire this thing to the switch?

Cary Falk
09-05-2014, 11:15 PM
For woodworking equip. I would stick to a TEFC motor. It looks like the 1hp farm duty is the only one that fits that bill. The motor should have a wiring diagram usually inside the connection box.

joseph f merz
09-05-2014, 11:35 PM
i bought one for my bandsaw . works fine lately but for awhile it would throw a major spark and jump to full speed so fast it would make the tires expand or slip . anyhow starts fine now and no amazing spark .I did have to replace the tires -it stretched them .

Marvin Hasenak
09-06-2014, 12:48 AM
I have used a 3/4HP on a wood lathe for about 6 years, it has worked great, no problems. The 3/4HP rating also seems to be correct, plenty of power and I can't stall it.

Ellery Becnel
09-06-2014, 7:31 AM
I have purchased a 1/2 hp. motor for a V-Drum sander that I built. It is dual voltage, 110/220, Overload switch, and the wiring information is located on the electrical junction box cover. It works just fine. They also had the best price.

Doug Herzberg
09-06-2014, 8:49 AM
I put the 1 hp farm motor on a 6" jointer of about that vintage. It worked fine. Wiring instructions are included. I forget if it can be wired for 240v. Mine was a 110v application. I replaced the jointer shortly after that, so it didn't get a lot of use.