PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Fuji Options...

Robert Parent
09-05-2014, 4:53 PM
Hi All,

I have been looking at HVLP sprayers for ages and was about to order one but have not clue about the various options. I am pretty sure the Q3 for the base unit (lower noise) but any thoughts on what spray gun model??? There appears to be two guns to pick from a pressure feed and a pressure feed / gravity.

Likely to spray die, shellac, some varnish, and maybe some limited thinned latex. Mostly I do small projects but I do have some kitchen cabinets as a first project.

Thanks,
Robert

Lloyd McKinlay
09-05-2014, 5:07 PM
The top feed is a much smaller cup, roughly 60% of the 1 qt bottom container.

Sam Murdoch
09-05-2014, 5:49 PM
I like the gravity cup attached to the 6' whip hose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1tXfdirXA&feature=youtu.be. With that combo you can spray comfortably into all sorts of hard to reach places and/or spray all day with minimal fatigue. The gravity cup does hold less than the bottom mount cup but I have not found that to be an issue even when spraying an entire kitchen. It may take longer because of the extra fill time but you get to learn how much coverage and plan accordingly. For small projects the smaller cup is perfect and for big projects the gravity system is an OK "compromise" considering the benefits.

Also, there is a swivel attachment that you can add to the gravity spray gun that allows for attaching a bottom mount quart cup.

Mikail Khan
09-05-2014, 7:21 PM
The whip hose is a must. I have had a Fuji sprayer with the bottom cup for about 10 years now. Most of the work I do I have had to refill the cup several times so for me the bigger under mount cup is better for me. The Q3 system should be good enough for you. Check out the reviews on amazon. I found them helpful when I was choosing my system. I suggest that you purchase a spare filter and cup seals when you buy. I got a more durable inlet strainer made from brass mesh called a Worthy strainer from Phelps Refinishing who is a Fuji dealer. Check out his site.

MK

Robert Parent
09-07-2014, 8:49 AM
Thanks guys.... Yes, the Phelps site is the one I was looking at with all the accessories and options. Would anyone happen to know what tips are usede for which materials?

Thanks,
Robert

Sam Murdoch
09-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys.... Yes, the Phelps site is the one I was looking at with all the accessories and options. Would anyone happen to know what tips are usede for which materials?

Thanks,
Robert

Call or e-mail Roger directly with all your expectations and he will set you up to perfection.

scott vroom
09-07-2014, 1:21 PM
If you're spraying latex or other types of pigmented finishes I suggest you look at the Q4...it's got 40% more PSI than the Q3 which means less thinning.

The whip hose is nice as it allows easier access to tight areas. The downside, for us at least, is that the whip hose will crack easily if stepped on. We went through 2 of them before giving up. In fairness, we were using the whip hose to spray various cabinets at on-site remodels so lots of foot traffic over the hose that was often hidden beneath folds in drop cloths.

I purchased my Q4 system from Homestead Finishings.