PDA

View Full Version : Uk laser consumable suppliers

Graham Taylor
09-05-2014, 3:54 PM
I am looking for UK suppliers of laser rubber/polymer, Mylar, acrylic and wood (mdf etc).

I have done the usual google search but all I can find are US suppliers, I did find a rubber supplier in Poland but they haven't replied to any emails.

I don't have any problems ordering from the US but the shipping could be rather expensive so if anyone has any UK supplier suggestions they are willing to share I would be grateful.

thanks in advance,

Graham

Kevin Gregerson
09-05-2014, 5:26 PM
Check out the US suppliers a lot of them are global and may have some places in europe for you to order from.

I am looking for UK suppliers of laser rubber/polymer, Mylar, acrylic and wood (mdf etc).

I have done the usual google search but all I can find are US suppliers, I did find a rubber supplier in Poland but they haven't replied to any emails.

I don't have any problems ordering from the US but the shipping could be rather expensive so if anyone has any UK supplier suggestions they are willing to share I would be grateful.

thanks in advance,

Graham

John Bion
09-05-2014, 6:09 PM
Hi Graham,
Have a look at HPC Laser and Trotec (Washington, Tyne and Wear). Also ask on the OP Laser forum, this is very useful for UK related questions such as this question (mods: I hope that without giving a link, this recommendation is ok, I apologise if it is not).
I get all my MDF (Medite Premier) from James Latham Timber (branches nationwide), the Tyneside branch has a particularly good understanding of 'laserabe' woods. Some branches will deliver free, others do not.
There are other UK suppliers, but I have not personally used them.
Kind regards,
John

Graham Taylor
09-06-2014, 2:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, will check them out later

Julian Ashcroft
09-06-2014, 2:14 AM
For plywood, I use a local merchant and gave some 3.5mm plywood they had in stock a go. I can't remember what type of wood was on the face, but it's pale and it cut well enough, with little smoke. At only £11.00 for a 8'x4' sheet it's well worth a try.

There are plenty of suppliers for rubber such as http://www.dettes-direct.co.uk/laser-rubber

For acrylic I use ebay.

Graham Taylor
09-06-2014, 2:18 AM
For plywood, I use a local merchant and gave some 3.5mm plywood they had in stock a go. I can't remember what type of wood was on the face, but it's pale and it cut well enough, with little smoke. At only £11.00 for a 8'x4' sheet it's well worth a try.

There are plenty of suppliers for rubber such as http://www.dettes-direct.co.uk/laser-rubber

For acrylic I use ebay.

Now why didn't that come up when I did my search - I hate google sometimes

thanks for the link,

Michael Hunter
09-07-2014, 2:06 PM
Acrylic :

Small quantities : ebay
Larger quantities and known quality : Trent Plastics (be sure that you specify cast if that is what you want!) or "the plastic shop dot co dot uk".
Big quantities : Amari plastics

I think that Trotec also sell acrylic but possibly a bit pricey. Worth asking CSI (the UK Epilog dealers) too.
Trotec and CSI have a standard (and very reasonable at around £10) delivery charge.

I've never needed it so have not checked, but Trotec almost certainly supply rubber for making stamps as that is what started their laser business in the first place.

Lathams are good for wood as John Bion says, but if they charge for delivery it can be VERY expensive. Most good local timber merchants should be able to supply interior ply and MDF in various grades.