PDA

View Full Version : Tool advise

Shannon Brantley
09-05-2014, 3:26 PM
I'm working on a project with a ton of square spindles and it has brought up the need for a new tool, the way all good projects do. Has anyone had experience with the Veritas cornering tool set or the mini edge-rounding plane? Free shipping for a few more days is the incentive for Lee Valley. But if there is a better option, I'm open.

Mark Kornell
09-05-2014, 8:23 PM
I have both. I find the cornering tools to be a bit finicky to use - the consistency of the roundover is directly related to how consistently you can maintain the angle of the tool to the workpiece. On the other hand, it can do inside curves. And you have the versatility of having different radii to use.

The edge-rounding plane is my preference for anything straight, though. Fast and consistent - as long as I want that radius.

The edge-rounding plane is also available through Grizzly and a couple of vendors on eBay. Probably elsewhere, too.

Moses Yoder
09-06-2014, 4:57 AM
On square spindles I just take a couple swipes with a spoke shave or block plane set fine to ease the edge, prevents it from cutting when someone touches the corner. Actually rounding the corner would be a whole different look and a lot of work, depends on what you want I guess.

Bruce Haugen
09-06-2014, 6:36 AM
I've made a ton of square spindles for everything from beds to tables and I always ease the edge with a block plane. Follow that with a little sandpaper and you're good to go.

Mike Holbrook
09-08-2014, 2:09 AM
The typical tools used to make windsor chair spindles are a drawknife followed by a spokeshave. The drawknife can bring a square split down close to final size much faster than a plane and in skilled hands it is a more versatile tool too.