PDA

View Full Version : Cremation Urns, ABS Plastic and Epoxy

Doug Herzberg
09-05-2014, 9:15 AM
To those of you who have inset ABS or PVC threaded plumbing fittings in cremation urns, did you use epoxy or some other adhesive? Specifically, what kind of epoxy? I don't have a lot of experience with it and some of my projects that used it failed, like the shaving brush that came off the handle. That was the cheap little squeeze tubes from HF. Do the syringes at the big box stores work? What is the shelf life of the unused product after opening the syringe? Would the same product be appropriate for filling small voids?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike Golka
09-05-2014, 9:38 AM
This is what I use--Cold Cure Epoxy Adhesive (http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20013&cat=1,110,42965&ap=1) from Lee Valley

John Keeton
09-05-2014, 9:57 AM
Doug, I use ABS and 5 minute epoxy from HF, tinted with black dye. However, you should know that neither ABS or PVC like epoxy and the adhesion is not great. I always turn a couple of rings on the insert and cut four vertical slashes to permit the epoxy to key into. That will prevent pulling loose or rotation.

Doug Herzberg
09-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. I thought about cutting a key way, so I'm glad to hear it worked for you, John.