PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Lopez class projects

Jim Seyfried
09-05-2014, 8:56 AM
Earlier this year I had the opportunity to attend a two day demo by Rudy Lopez, followed by two days of hands on training. This was a Michigan Association of woodturners event. Rudy is a very entertaining and skilled demonstrator, he is also very good at teaching in the hands on training. I throughly enjoyed the four days of training and would recommend attending his demo if you get the chance. I have been finishing up some turnings, here are a couple of turnings that I made in the class.

296141296142296143 Twice turned walnut bowl; it is about 7" x 3 1/2"
296144296145296146 Walnut crotch winged bowl; it is about 10" x 9" x 1 3/4". I broke some of the bark off the top of the bowl while sanding.

Don Orr
09-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Beautiful work-you learn well grasshopper.

Steve Schlumpf
09-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Very nice work Jim!

I had the pleasure of meeting Rudy and also attending his demo while John Keeton and I were at the Ohio Symposium last October. Rudy is a very good demonstrator, highly skilled, relatable and explains everything he is doing - while - he is doing it! Highly recommend Rudy and bet his class was a lot of fun to take!

guy laizure
09-05-2014, 4:03 PM
I attended both days of the demo.Rudy does a great job of explaining everything and the Michigan Association of Woodturners facility is top notch.

Jim Seyfried
09-06-2014, 8:19 AM
Thanks Don and Steve! And yes the class was a lot of fun to take!

Jeff Gilfor
09-06-2014, 1:12 PM
Rudy is awesome, and a personal friend of mine. We are also fellow members of my local wood-turning club (Tricounty Wood Turners, Florida). Every time I see him, I learn something! He does love those "flat bowls". They are fun as heck, but make a LOT of noise. I can only imagine a class full of them going at once. Can you say "ear protection"?

I really like the top one there. Not that the other is any less nice; just not my style. Making them teaches and requires some good tool handling doesn't it?

Steve Mawson
09-06-2014, 6:11 PM
Yes you do learn well, like the bowl with the natural edge. Rudy is good enough that he can work and talk at the same time.