PDA

View Full Version : How To Measure Circular Saw Blade Tooth Angle ?

William Young SE BC
09-04-2014, 5:57 PM
Can anyone explain how to accurately measure the angle of the face a carbide tooth in relation to the plate of the blade for sharpening purposes .
I know some are 90 degrees but some are left or right plus or minus 10 degrees away from 90 degrees for every other tooth on a rip blade so half need to be sharpened at one angle and the other half at the same angle in the opposite direction.
None of the sharpening machine manufacturers seem to show how to determining what angle to use . They just say to set the angle correctly before sharpening .

HANK METZ
09-04-2014, 6:15 PM
I Put your question exactly to Google, and...
How To Measure Circular Saw Blade Tooth Angle (https://www.google.com/search?q=How+To+Measure+Circular+Saw+Blade+Tooth+A ngle&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=oQM&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=rcs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=J-QIVJXcDsK1sQTbjYGIBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1359&bih=895)

William Young SE BC
09-04-2014, 6:52 PM
I Put your question exactly to Google, and...
How To Measure Circular Saw Blade Tooth Angle (https://www.google.com/search?q=How+To+Measure+Circular+Saw+Blade+Tooth+A ngle&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=oQM&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=rcs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=J-QIVJXcDsK1sQTbjYGIBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1359&bih=895)

I had viewed all that earlier today myself. It was the first place I went to when wanting to find out how.
However , unless I missed it , I could not find out how to actually and/or accurately measure the angle . They show all about the angles (which I am aware of) but not how to measure them. You can't get any kind of a protractor arm that I know of in between the teeth to measure it.

I am having pretty good luck just eyeballing the angle to set up my machine but would like to be a little more accurate about it .
Just thought somebody here might know .

Mark Bolton
09-04-2014, 7:31 PM
You can measure it off the arbor with a shop made plywood jig an an inexpensive angle finder like from general tools but repeating it precisely is the tough part.

My sharpening service simply matches the existing angle (daylight/touch method) unless I tell them yo change it.

HANK METZ
09-04-2014, 8:21 PM
I had viewed all that earlier today myself. It was the first place I went to when wanting to find out how.
However , unless I missed it , I could not find out how to actually and/or accurately measure the angle . They show all about the angles (which I am aware of) but not how to measure them. You can't get any kind of a protractor arm that I know of in between the teeth to measure it.

I am having pretty good luck just eyeballing the angle to set up my machine but would like to be a little more accurate about it .
Just thought somebody here might know .

You simply lay out the angles as per the illustrations, use a protractor above the intersects after elongating them to a useful separation. At least that's how I do it, but saw shops I know of simply replicate the existing angle. Do enough of them and no doubt they can eyeball it close enough then refine it after making a light sample pass.

William Young SE BC
09-04-2014, 9:27 PM
OK , thanks guys , I'll carry on eyeballing it and what I have tried a couple times was to blacken the face of the tooth with a felt marker and set the diamond wheel to lightly touch it and see where it removes some and where it doesn't and then by trial and error keep adjusting until it removes the blackened area evenly . Guess I was looking for quicker and easier way . :o