PDA

View Full Version : Tool handles

Steve Paxman
09-04-2014, 3:42 PM
I spent some time making some tool handles. I bought some unhandled tools, with one handle that fits them all, thinking I'd have no problem just switching the tool in my handle from time to time.

Well, that got annoying really quickly. So now, everyone gets their own handle. Mostly simple danish oil finish after sanding to 220. I don't want these to be too smooth.

I also put up a video demonstrating how I make a tool handle. Check it out! Comments welcome on technique, safety, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjfCS-V-IlA

Daniel Gross
09-04-2014, 6:05 PM
Great job Steve

Roy Turbett
09-07-2014, 3:10 AM
Steve -

Very nice video. I use pretty much the same method except that I don't pre-drill the mounting hole as deep as yours because I don't always know what tool will eventually go on the handle. I usually drill a 3/8" hole about 1" deep and use 3/4" copper pipe couplings cut in half for my ferrules because they're cheap and can be shaped and polished on the lathe. I use a 3/4" open end wrench to size the tenon and mount the ferrule so I can be sure of a tight fit. If I don't like the fit, I make the tenon a little longer and a little fatter. Once I'm satified with the fit, I don't glue it and just leave it on. I layout the rest of the handle after the ferrule is mounted.

Many of the tools I use were purchased as unhandled sets and have tapered tines. I use a step drill that best matches the tine to drill the final hole and anchor the tool with epoxy. Some guys drill a tiny relief hole in the side of the handle and perpendicular to the bottom of the hole to let air escape so the entire hole can fill with epoxy. I haven't found a need for this with a tapered hole but would consider it for a regular hole.

Roy