PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Gum Logs

Bob Coates
09-03-2014, 7:39 PM
Hello,
I just cut down (9/3 a sweet gum and have some logs for anyone in Norristown, Pa area. 14 to 16 down. 16 to 18 long. I am going to try and core one, rest is up for grabs.

Bob

Cored set from log. Logs in background.

Dan Hintz
09-03-2014, 8:34 PM
Hmmm, I WILL be in Philly for the NBM show... <thinking> ;)

Eric Gourieux
09-08-2014, 1:40 PM
I just obtained a huge sweet gum tree and turned it for the first time. Turns great.

Shawn Pachlhofer
09-08-2014, 3:01 PM
here's a tip...

once you cut into half logs, go ahead and cut your half log round (into a bowl blank) - you can leave the bark on for a NE bowl, or cut into a flat disk.

wrap the entire blank tightly with plastic wrap. I use a big roll (from U-Haul store).

set it aside for several months. You'll see the wood under the wrap turn black.

then unwrap and turn.

thank me later. :D

Kyle Iwamoto
09-08-2014, 4:17 PM
Plastic wrap? Better than Anchorseal? Sweet gum is pretty much prone to cracking...... Interesting.

Dan Hintz
09-08-2014, 8:11 PM
I think Shawn is shooting for spalting, Kyle...

Shawn Pachlhofer
09-08-2014, 11:55 PM
yes, I'm forcing it to spalt - I have 2 blanks ready to turn. If I get to them this weekend (and I really need to), I'll post pictures.

plain sweet gum is usually just kinda "blah" - but get it spalted, and it's fantastic.

Ryan Mooney
09-09-2014, 12:55 AM
Wish I'd read that wrap trick 6 months ago :rolleyes: When you say round before wrapping you don't mean a fully roughed bowl but just the roughed outside?

The stuff I didn't get turned right away did indeed split horribly, completely unusable (granted it's hot and desert dry here). Considering how intertwined the grain is, that was a bit of a surprise.

It does turn quite nicely though, much more please with it than my previous free tree which was elm (nice when done we'll say :D).

Kyle Iwamoto
09-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I knew you were forcing it to spalt, I was wondering if the plastic wrap would also prevent the cracking? I like spalt. I'm going to have to try that. It only makes sense that it would help prevent cracking.....

Thanks for the tip!

Larry Matchett
09-09-2014, 9:54 PM
Spalted sweetgum is a great seller. Every turner I know sells out of spalted sweet gum bowls or hollow forms. It will turn punky very quickly after it spalts. Does not store well. Turns easy and finishes great. A very coveted wood here in South Mississippi.