PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Fan and Air Compressor

Dan Wilhelm
09-03-2014, 5:36 PM
I know of the many threads regarding these two items for lasers. I just thought I would tell everybody what I bought and how they work.

I went with a Grizzly model G0710P dust collector for the exhaust fan. It's about $80 more expensive than the 1 hp Harbor Freight dust collector, but the noise level is about 1/4 (79 dB for the Grizzly, 112 dB for the Harbor Freight; both max ratings; reduction of 10 dB equals half of the noise level). The Grizzly is rated for 537 cfm and 7.2 inches static pressure, and Epilog requires 450 cfm and 6 inches s.p. for the Mini 24. The outlet is a little over 4 inches, but a 5-inch to 4-inch duct reducer from Lowe's fits perfectly on the outlet.

For the air assist compressor, I went with the Master Airbrush compressor from TCP Global. I'm not sure what the model is, but it is listed as "NEW Quiet AIRBRUSH COMPRESSOR w/Regulator" on Amazon. It's 1/5 hp, 57 max psi, 0.7 cfm, and it includes a regulator with an oil/moisture trap. It's super quiet and provides plenty of airflow. I ran a test on the Epilog before I hooked this thing up, and while cutting LaserMax plastic, it made about a 2 inch long flame. With the air assist turned on, there is no flare-up. It did take a couple of fittings to adapt the 1/8-inch threaded fitting on the included air hose to the 1/4-inch push-in fitting on the Epilog, though.

Now, I just have to hard pipe my exhaust to both lasers, and I'll be up and running.

Kevin Gregerson
09-03-2014, 6:50 PM
For air, I usually recommend this model. It's quiet enough, and it delivers the needed cfm for most lasers.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-6-3-Gal-1-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Steel-Tank-Air-Compressor-6310/202977399?cm_mmc=Shopping&cm_mmc=Shopping&cm_mmc=Shopping&cm_mmc=Shopping&cm_mmc=Shopping&cm_mmc=Shopping&cm_mmc=Shopping&gclid=CKiezsXxtsACFYkS4Aodvi8AuA&gclsrc=ds

Dan Wilhelm
09-03-2014, 7:15 PM
Any particular reason you need a 1 hp compressor with a 6.3 gallon tank to provide 30 psi air to a 1/8" nozzle on the laser head? The only thing I'm concerned about with the airbrush compressor is heat generation from continuous use on a large project...but then again, I'm sure there are some artists that use airbrushes for a long time. As long as it doesn't heat up too much, and the compressor is quiet enough, I see no need for a tank.

Kevin Gregerson
09-03-2014, 8:04 PM
Any particular reason you need a 1 hp compressor with a 6.3 gallon tank to provide 30 psi air to a 1/8" nozzle on the laser head? The only thing I'm concerned about with the airbrush compressor is heat generation from continuous use on a large project...but then again, I'm sure there are some artists that use airbrushes for a long time. As long as it doesn't heat up too much, and the compressor is quiet enough, I see no need for a tank.

Depends on the Laser model. Most chinese models take 15-25 psi Epilog takes about 35 psi. The Universal side takes 55 psi. Trotec seems to keep this a closed lip secret. They claim 145psi on the speedy 500, but not sure what the normal is.

Also Figure the cfm requirements for most lasers is in the 1.5 to 2.5cfm minimums with a max possible of 4-5 cfm. You want a compressor that does at least that level of cfm at the required pressure. Add in the tank and you can achieve the max cfm for smaller cuts and the minimum for smaller cuts.