PDA

View Full Version : Router bit slipping up in the collet

Joe Fenwick
09-03-2014, 1:00 PM
I have a PC7518 motor in a router table. Several times lately the bit is climbing up in the collet. It's as tight as I can get it and is not bottomed out. What am I doing wrong? The collet is new.

Mike Hollingsworth
09-03-2014, 1:35 PM
I'd invest in an extra collet.

pat warner
09-03-2014, 1:42 PM
Down spiral cutter?
Indeed it's time to scrap slipped/said cutter and the collet.
Burrs, scrapes & scratches on the collet or the cutter will frustrate the grip on the shank.
And if the collet seat (ground end of armature) is scuffed you have another problem.

Jim Rimmer
09-03-2014, 1:50 PM
Before you scrap anything, clean everything thoroughly.

Bill Huber
09-03-2014, 3:32 PM
I have a 7518 and the collet was bad on mine when I got it, it was really hard to get the bit in and out of it.
I looked around and found Precision and got a new collet from them, not cheap but it is the best collet I have ever seen.
It is as smooth as it can be and works so good, you can do the second release by hand and I have never had a bit slip in it.
I bought the kit with the 1/2" and 1/4" collets, came with the wrench and collect cleaner. The collet cleaner is really great stuff and I use it on all my routers.

Go take a look.
http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/porter-cable_0429_kits.asp?tsPT=!!!Porter-Cable_0429!!!Kit!!!PG!!!

Thomas Hotchkin
09-04-2014, 3:49 PM
Before you scrap anything, clean everything thoroughly. I have that same router. Dirt and lack of a lubrication on the collet threads, keeps you from getting full torque with your wrenches. Don't go overboard with the lube, I use a very small amount of a graphite grease only on the threads. Only my Porter Cable routers have this problem. Tom

glenn bradley
09-04-2014, 4:47 PM
My guesses are manufacturer defect, residue from the manufacturing process, failure to clean the router bit shank before use, etc. I too would start by cleaning the collet and the router bit shank. I use the one-handed method of gripping the two wrenches to set the tension on the collet nut (in other words, not super tight) without issues. I do routinely clean the collet and the bits as a matter of course during use.

Myk Rian
09-04-2014, 5:01 PM
mm and inch mis-match?

Alan Lightstone
03-09-2017, 12:44 PM
I have a 7518 and the collet was bad on mine when I got it, it was really hard to get the bit in and out of it.
I looked around and found Precision and got a new collet from them, not cheap but it is the best collet I have ever seen.
It is as smooth as it can be and works so good, you can do the second release by hand and I have never had a bit slip in it.
I bought the kit with the 1/2" and 1/4" collets, came with the wrench and collect cleaner. The collet cleaner is really great stuff and I use it on all my routers.

Go take a look.
http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/porter-cable_0429_kits.asp?tsPT=!!!Porter-Cable_0429!!!Kit!!!PG!!!
Old thread, but I just picked up the 1/4" and 1/2" Precision ER collets, and they are superb. Very, very highly recommended. Thanks for the suggestion, Bill.

Nick Decker
03-09-2017, 12:55 PM
I'll just add that I too wasn't happy with the collet on my new 7518. Hard to insert or remove the bit and just generally felt sloppy, for something that's supposed to hang on to a spinning blade. I went with a Muscle Chuck to replace it.

Curt Harms
03-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Another example of Stanley/Black&Decker 'value engineering'? I have pre-Black&Decker collets and no issues.

James Zhu
03-10-2017, 10:38 AM
I'll just add that I too wasn't happy with the collet on my new 7518. Hard to insert or remove the bit and just generally felt sloppy, for something that's supposed to hang on to a spinning blade. I went with a Muscle Chuck to replace it.

+1 for muscle chuck, http://www.rockler.com/quick-change-musclechucktrade-musclechuck, not cheap, but worth the investment, it makes changing bit so so much easier

Nick Decker
03-10-2017, 10:57 AM
I had a Muscle Chuck on the Bosch 1617 before the one I bought for the PC 7518. Both have worked as advertised and I don't miss the wrenches at all. You can buy direct from the manufacturer if, like me, you'd prefer to avoid Rockler.