PDA

View Full Version : One step closer to being just like George...

Harold Burrell
09-03-2014, 9:37 AM
I just got my Spyderco M stone in the mail. It took me FOREVER to flatten. Not because it was so horribly out of flat, but because this sucker is HARD.

I'm looking forward to using it (well...as much as is possible for me to look forward to sharpening anything.) :D

Daniel Rode
09-03-2014, 10:33 AM
What did you flatten it with? A Diamond plate?

Harold Burrell
09-03-2014, 12:15 PM
What did you flatten it with? A Diamond plate?

Yeah...I flattened it with my I-Wood 300.

Pat Barry
09-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Its kinda hard to believe that Spyderco wouldn't come flat enough right out of the shipping box. Any idea how far out of flat it was or how much material you had to remove to get it flat?

Charles Bjorgen
09-03-2014, 1:07 PM
I acquired both the medium and UF 2x8 stones and needed to do some flattening on both. I also used the iWood 300. Neither is super flat right now but I decided to put them both to use without further work. I touched up a few plane irons freehand and then took the stones to the kitchen and honed all of our kitchen knives. I'm not ready to put my water stones out to pasture yet but so far I'm pretty impressed with these ceramics. Like many folks here I've spent a lot on sharpening stuff. The ceramics do make it pretty easy to get back to work though.

Harold Burrell
09-03-2014, 1:40 PM
Its kinda hard to believe that Spyderco wouldn't come flat enough right out of the shipping box. Any idea how far out of flat it was or how much material you had to remove to get it flat?

It wasn't far out of flat, though I could see light under my straight edge. It was dished somewhat in the middle. I took off VERY little and it took me a LONG time (probably 45 min.). I'm thinking that this thing will last...