PDA

View Full Version : for those who cut mylar

Graham Taylor
09-03-2014, 9:32 AM
Is it possible to cut more than one mylar sheet ata time if they are stacked on top of each other without causing any damage to any of the sheets?

Looking to cut stencils and it would save time if 2 or 3 sheets could be done at the same time.

Do not have my Speedy 300 yet so cant test for myself.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Dan Hintz
09-03-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't recall trying it with mylar, per se, but placing a sheet of tissue paper between layers often works for me on other substrates. They must be perfectly flat , and you need to watch out for air assist separating the layers... if it does, the cut will (at the very least) fail and/or (at the worst) catch fire.

Graham Taylor
09-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks for that Dan, will have to give it a go when I am all set up

Jiten Patel
09-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Hey,

Mylar is a tough one due to remelt. I haven't found it effective stacking it up, just melts. Saying that's I didn't really get a chance to experiment so just stuck to cutting single sheets and we don't do too many stencils. A galvo is a far better tool for the job as a carriage system takes far too long to make it profitable.

Graham Taylor
09-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the advice Jit, I will stick to single sheets when I start.

Out of curiosity, whereabouts in London are you?

Jiten Patel
09-03-2014, 1:26 PM
We are based in Harold Wood - near Brentwood (Zone 6 - East London)...yourself?

Graham Taylor
09-03-2014, 1:43 PM
We are based in Harold Wood - near Brentwood (Zone 6 - East London)...yourself?

Spookily we are in Harold Wood too

Kevin Gregerson
09-03-2014, 6:43 PM
Mylar typically cuts better with a higher energy 9.3 wavelength. If you are using standard 10.6 co2 laser it'll cut but getting accuracy will be best with the smallest lens you can get due to its tendency to melt.

Also to answer your question on the multiple piece layered cuts, not very well if at all.