PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning LaserMax

Dan Wilhelm
09-02-2014, 7:05 PM
I engrave office nameplates for my company, and I use black on white Rowmark LaserMax for them. I have found that after engraving, a fine dust surrounds the engraved areas. If I wipe off the nameplate to get rid of the dust, a lot of it gets onto the white, engraved areas. Is there a good way to clean this dust off the surface without getting it in the engraved areas? If not, is there a good way to clean the dust off the engraved areas after wiping it down? I find that once it gets on the engraved areas, it's really hard to get off of there.

Mike Chance in Iowa
09-02-2014, 7:19 PM
Mr Clean Magic Eraser will clean the white. (Don't scrub hard or you will "clean" the black off the black!) If I remember correct, others have stated in the past that they will do a second "light" engraving to clean any smoke & dust that stuck in the white area.

Paul Phillips
09-02-2014, 7:59 PM
Do a search on cleaning, this subject has been discussed many times!

John Noell
09-02-2014, 8:05 PM
When doing hundreds of tags for the schools here, we finally hit on dropping the freshly engraved tags into soapy water. Even the reds (the worst of all colours for this problem) come out fine. Swish 'em around, dump 'em on a towel, let 'em dry, and they look great. (We use rainwater so if you have water with a lot of dissolved salts it might not work as well.)

Dan Wilhelm
09-03-2014, 5:23 PM
Mr Clean Magic Eraser will clean the white. (Don't scrub hard or you will "clean" the black off the black!) If I remember correct, others have stated in the past that they will do a second "light" engraving to clean any smoke & dust that stuck in the white area.

I just tried this and it worked like a charm. Just a quick scrub with minimal pressure in each direction cleaned 'em right up. I'm starting to think those things really are magic (even though I'm completely aware that they are just a mild abrasive). I have used them to clean shoes, painted walls, hard water stains on porcelain, golf clubs, and now engraved plastics.