PDA

View Full Version : G0656PX and G0453PX....

Justin Jump
09-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Any recent info or reviews on the G0656PX (8" jointer) and the G0453PX (15" planer)?

If I am going to get these and have to wait until October due to them being on backorder, I might as well find out as much as I can before I drop the money for them....

THX

JJ in Pittsburgh

Justin Jump
09-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Sorry, click on wrong forum.......

Ken Fitzgerald
09-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Justin,

I took the liberty of moving this thread to the General Woodworking and Power Tools forum where it is more appropriate.

Justin Jump
09-02-2014, 12:02 PM
thanks.....probably shouldve just deleted it.

I just found out that the backorder is into December now.......

The bummer is I sold my Ridgid jointer and planer over the weekend to get extra money for the purchase.

Myk Rian
09-02-2014, 6:41 PM
It has been well established that you do not buy anything from Grizzly without first verifying availability.
I

thomas hsieh
09-02-2014, 11:34 PM
It seems most of their jointers are back ordered. Whats up with that?

Matt Day
09-03-2014, 6:23 AM
Did you look around for the Shop Fox versions? They are the same sans color I think. Bibb tool and cutter has them, and might work with you on price since you're buying two machines.

Justin Jump
09-03-2014, 7:31 AM
Not Shop Fox......

Did look at JET with their discounts. Not sure the extra money is worth it yet.

Justin Ludwig
09-03-2014, 8:40 AM
Unless you're dead set on getting the white polar bear series, check availability on the "X". It's the same machine.

A quick, down and dirty review for the planer:

1. Inspect the crate/box upon arrival. If any major damages/holes, refuse the shipment. Aligning and adjusting beat equipment is no bueno. Grizzly would rather you refuse the order and send another one. I speak from experience on a shaper purchase.
2. Have plenty of rags and a grease cutter handy to clean all the cosmoline. It's everywhere. After you think you got it all, plane some sacrificial wood through it, then clean again.
3. Set up is relatively easy. I initially did it with the "two blocks of wood" method. Later, I purchased a Oneway Multi Gauge and dialed everything it to .001 tolerances. I set my rollers to .002 above the table and now get no end snipe.
4. The carbide inserts hold up really well if you don't overfeed stock or let a rogue piece of metal through. In 2 years of use, I've only had to rotate 2 of the inserts. I don't take more than 1/16" stock in a single pass.

I have a Grizzly coupon from Wood magazine. 10% for all purchases over $300. Has to used by October 15th. PM me if you want it. It will save you quite a bit if you purchase them together.

Cary Falk
09-03-2014, 9:22 AM
I have the G0453Z and I am happy with it. The fit and finish is not as great as my other Grizzly tools but not horrible. The height adjustment wheel is not drilled square so it doesn't spin true but it doesn't hurt the function. The motor went out at about 14months. My credit card had doubled the warranty so it was covered by them. I put a better motor in it. Grizzly was very helpful working with the credit card company for the replacement motor. I love the carbide insert head. Even with the motor issue I am still ahead of the game $$ wise compared to others on the market. I have many Grizzly tools and this was the only one that has ever given me any problems. Maybe it was because it was made in China vs Taiwain. maybe just the luck of the draw.

Justin Jump
09-03-2014, 9:28 AM
PM Sent......

I have a Grizzly coupon from Wood magazine. 10% for all purchases over $300. Has to used by October 15th. PM me if you want it. It will save you quite a bit if you purchase them together.[/QUOTE]

Justin Jump
09-03-2014, 11:17 AM
I am thinking of either JET or Powermatic (same right?) from the CPO Outlets.....

Anyone order from here?

I am thinking of getting the standard bladed versions for now, then upgrading to helical heads. Has anyone done this and is it easy to do?

Marty Tippin
09-03-2014, 11:24 AM
I am thinking of getting the standard bladed versions for now, then upgrading to helical heads. Has anyone done this and is it easy to do?

Spend the money now for helical cutterheads. Upgrade cost is disproportionately expensive and you'll be a lot happier with the carbide cutters that can be individually replaced as needed. Plus the noise level is so much lower - your ears (and your neighbors) will thank you.

thomas hsieh
09-03-2014, 3:00 PM
I am thinking of either JET or Powermatic (same right?) from the CPO Outlets.....

Anyone order from here?

Jet and powermatic are made in same factory. So it is not a huge difference in quality. Bells and whistles

May I ask what is your budget for jointer and planer?

Justin Jump
09-03-2014, 3:01 PM
Well, I was hoping to be around the same for new from Grizzly for the mentioned models, which is $3K....

thomas hsieh
09-03-2014, 3:08 PM
If you can wait, just wait. If not then I would get the Shop Fox. It is the same thing....owned by Grizzly, just re branded.

Sean Troy
09-03-2014, 3:41 PM
If you can wait, just wait. If not then I would get the Shop Fox. It is the same thing....owned by Grizzly, just re branded.
Shop Fox prices seem to be higher?

Cary Falk
09-03-2014, 3:44 PM
Shop Fox prices seem to be higher?
Shop Fox is the retail version of Grizzly. You get a dealer network that you don't get with Grizzly. I also believe that you get a 2yr warranty vs 1 with Grizzly.

Silas Smith
09-03-2014, 4:32 PM
Have you considered the 12" jet combo machine? It keeps you at the $3000 price and is a heck of a machine. Save space as well. Personally I don't get having an 8" jointer and 15" planer. I always face joint so it makes a lot more sense to have 12" both ways.

Matt Day
09-03-2014, 5:10 PM
I'm not sure why you seem to be against Shop Fox. They're the same as Grizzly and cheaper than Jet and especially powermatic.

Surprised your considering new powermatic after trying hard to get a smoking deal on used equipment in your other thread.

Justin Jump
09-03-2014, 7:08 PM
Not against Shop Fox at all.....

As for the new Powermatic, just happened across the CPO site for them, after looking though, over $4K for the stuff with the discount. Not sure the wife would let me swing that.

As for the CL Thread, well if you followed you saw how that turned out, but again, I was willing to make a fair offer for, yes never used, but almost 10 year old equipment. Anyways, that didn't work out, and yes, I assisted in not making that deal happen because of me...I would rather pay for new, if the deal on used isnt good enough for me.

Matt Day
09-04-2014, 10:29 AM
You need to check the classifieds and get in the car and head to southern Maryland. 8" jointer and 20" planer for $2300, both with spiral heads.

Sean Troy
09-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Grizzly's combo machine with spiral cutter head is 5hp vs. Jet 3hp and the grizzly is less expensive.

Justin Jump
09-04-2014, 12:08 PM
You need to check the classifieds and get in the car and head to southern Maryland. 8" jointer and 20" planer for $2300, both with spiral heads.

Hopefully the tent sale at Grizzly next Saturday goes well!!

Myk Rian
09-04-2014, 3:39 PM
Get there REAL early.

Justin Jump
09-04-2014, 8:19 PM
early....I heard.....

I am driving up after work Friday night and staying in town. My plan is to be in line around 6/6:30.

I know its not the earliest, but from what I hear 2-3 hours before should be OK.

Michael W. Clark
09-04-2014, 8:36 PM
I bought my tablesaw at one in Springfield about 10 years ago (wow, time flies!). I didn't get there as early as you plan to, but they had just opened and people were going directly to the item they wanted and taking the tickets. It seemed like they had scouted it before the sale? They knew exactly where to go and I got a little discouraged. I had actually gone there to get a Hybrid saw and thought I was going to have to buy new.

Then, my wife found one in the tent, 5HP, 1023 series, no scratches or dents that I could find, nothing missing, and about 2/3 of new price at the time. I looked and the ticket was still there or had been put back after someone changed their mind? My wife is awsome to take tool shopping! When we got home with it, realized it was 3-ph. I didn't plan on that expense, but it all worked out in the end and I think I got a better saw. If we lived closer to a store now, I would definitely go.

Curt Harms
09-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Anyone order from here?

If you haven't done so, it might be worth checking Equipment Sales and Surplus in Auburn, WA. for Jet and Powermatic. I got my Jet JJP-12 J/P from there, they had the best price and free delivery including residential lift gate. Mine was drop shipped from Jet's warehouse in Tennessee. I'd heard second hand that a Jet 12" spiral cutterhead for my machine is around $600, pretty close to the differential new. I don't know about Jet planers but the Jet JJP-12 planer function feeds at 20 fpm, the helical JJP-12H feeds at 12 fpm. That would be something to look into if considering a straight knife to helical head conversion. I'd get the helical head and be done with it, no warranty issues for one thing.

Jim Andrew
09-05-2014, 1:08 PM
If you are considering a combo, the Grizzly G0634xp with the longer infeed table is 2500 delivered. Appears it has a 8" longer infeed table than the G0633, and is less with the helical cutterhead by 250.

Justin Jump
09-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Update and Dilemma.....

So, not sure how I missed it, but Grizzly does have the 453Z Planers in stock, so I have one of those on hold if I do not find anything at the Tent Sale.....

Second, they are still out of stock on ALL 8" jointers, December time frame.

Now, I dont expect to find too much in teh deal of 8" at the tent sale, if I do, then great, if not, then Ihave 2 choices.

Order a new Grizzly, take the $100 discount along with my 10% off (BUT add $150 back in for shipping) or, a local Shop Fox dealer can get me the W1741 for close to the same as the grizzly, but without the helical head, I would have to chuck out the $400 for that.

So, Ridgid Band Saw, Table Saw Drill Press
Grizzly Planer
Shop Fox Jointer

Marty Tippin
09-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Order a new Grizzly, take the $100 discount along with my 10% off (BUT add $150 back in for shipping)

If the tent sale is close enough to drive to, why can't you just go pick up whatever you're ordering and save the $150 shipping charge?

Justin Jump
09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Marty - that was my plan ALL SUMMER.......

BUT, I only recently found out that Grizzly has NO, thats NONE of the 8" jointers in stock, they are o nbackorder until December.

Its close enough to drive the 4 hours or so to go to the Tent Sale (never been to one and want to go), but 4 hours there and 4 hours back is not worth saving the $150 on shipping.