PDA

View Full Version : Life is too short for cheap Band Aids.

Rick Potter
09-02-2014, 3:34 AM
I take a blood thinner. It and previous sun damage leave my skin very thin and prone to tearing. At least three times a week I use band aids to cover new cuts, and I go through them pretty fast. I even carry them in my wallet.

I like the fabric, flexible type of band aid, and for quite a while have used Curad brand strips from the local discount store. They only stay on a day or so, & come loose when I sweat, or wash up. Recently we bought a box of genuine Band Aid flexible strips. They are 1" wide rather than the 3/4" I have been using, and they stay on forever. They also have the pad going all the way from side to side, so air can get in and heal faster. I had a couple on my arm that lasted two weeks, including sweat and showers.

What a difference.......like the title says..

Rick Potter

Dan Hintz
09-02-2014, 6:45 AM
It's all fun and games until you want to take the bandage off ;) I would have thought with your thin skin you'd want one that comes off without insane tear strength.

Jerry Thompson
09-02-2014, 8:52 AM
There is a product named "Skin Prep" that aids in adhesion and protection of skin tears upon removal of adhesive dressings.

Bill Huber
09-02-2014, 10:50 AM
You can get tape that will only stick to itself, not to the skin.
You buy pads and the tape and put a pad on and then the tape around it and it works great.

I have my blood checked every 6 months and this is what they have been using and it is really nice, it just come right off, no pulling the skin or anything like that.

Rick Potter
09-02-2014, 12:46 PM
The two I have used so far came off just fine. I also noticed they do not seem to irritate my skin like some do. I have no skin in this game (sic), just reporting on a good product.

I have also tried the New Skin liquid bandage. It works well for small cuts, if you wait till after it stops bleeding. Smells like fingernail polish to me.

RP

Eric DeSilva
09-02-2014, 12:56 PM
I also noticed they do not seem to irritate my skin like some do.

After a large-microplane-grater-versus-finger-knuckle incident I tried a Band-Aid brand latex bandaid that was pre-treated with some antibacterial stuff. Not sure whether it was the latex or the adhesive or whatever, but it caused me to break out in a very severe blistery rash throughout the area where the bandaid stuck to my finger. That wasn't fun. I went back to the flexible fabric ones...

Ken Fitzgerald
09-02-2014, 1:15 PM
I like the New Skin liquid bandage too!

ray hampton
09-02-2014, 3:14 PM
soaking the BandAid in warm water may help;a roll of electric tape will hold a bandage also
this tape will stick to itself but will pull off of the skin easy

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-02-2014, 9:02 PM
The worst part for me removing bandages is the hair - if it's not a crazy cut, and I'm at home, I shave near the cut first- it makes pulling off the bandage a lot less terrifying.

Shawn Pixley
09-02-2014, 9:27 PM
The Band Aid brand flexible fabric bandaids are great. I learned that a while back. They also make a heavy duty flexible fabric bandage that are even more sturdy for areas which are subject to abuse like hands or feet. I can't abide by the flimsy plastic bandages.

Jim Rimmer
09-03-2014, 2:16 PM
Duct tape or painters tape and paper towels. :D The woodworkers original band-aid.
I know what you mean by your title. There are some items you just need to turn loose of the coins and get the good stuff.

Erik Loza
09-03-2014, 2:45 PM
After a large-microplane-grater-versus-finger-knuckle incident I tried a Band-Aid brand latex bandaid that was pre-treated with some antibacterial stuff. Not sure whether it was the latex or the adhesive or whatever, but it caused me to break out in a very severe blistery rash throughout the area where the bandaid stuck to my finger. That wasn't fun. I went back to the flexible fabric ones...

My wife has the identical reaction. I believe it's a latex allergy.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

William Adams
09-03-2014, 5:23 PM
I like the hydro colloidal bandages.

http://woundcareadvisor.com/apple-bites_vol2_no3/

Rick Potter
09-04-2014, 3:34 AM
Jim, I thought I was the only guy using paper towels and masking tape. I use it till the bleeding stops, then put on a good bandage.

Here is a quick larger dressing for an emergency..........a feminine pad and a roll of masking tape. Recommended to us in EMT training years ago by a nurse instructor.

RP

daniel lane
09-05-2014, 1:26 PM
Duct tape or painters tape and paper towels. :D The woodworkers original band-aid.

You might laugh, but I actually bought a box of duct tape bandages a few years back. They are what they say - silver duct tape made into bandages. A quick search of the interwebzes found this (http://uncrate.com/stuff/duct-tape-bandages/) - same ones. I use them when I want the bandage to stay on a long time, and they are great. Stronger adhesive, but not tear-skin-off strong.

daniel

Myk Rian
09-06-2014, 2:37 PM
CVS has a heavy duty fabric bandaid.
They stay stuck.

ray hampton
09-06-2014, 3:02 PM
CVS has a heavy duty fabric bandaid.
They stay stuck.

what we need is a bandaid that use velco instead of a glue surface

Rick Potter
09-06-2014, 6:03 PM
They have them, Ray.

I have been retired so long, I can't think of the name, but it looks like an Ace bandage but it sticks to itself. Been around a long time....great for dressing larger wounds.

RP

Edit: Think it is called Coban.

ray hampton
09-06-2014, 8:09 PM
They have them, Ray.

I have been retired so long, I can't think of the name, but it looks like an Ace bandage but it sticks to itself. Been around a long time....great for dressing larger wounds.

RP

I am glad that someone got the same idea , thank you Rick

Kent A Bathurst
09-07-2014, 6:06 PM
I would have thought with your thin skin.............

I beg to differ, Dan.

Rick has gotten in his share of firefights here over the years, and has never seemed, to me, to be thin-skinned. :p :p

It's not as if he is in the "BD or Die" brigade, ya dig?

Ole Anderson
09-08-2014, 9:13 AM
Whenever I get blood work done, I always ask for paper rather than plastic tape, removal doesn't take all the hair with it. But this of course is just the opposite of what the OP had in mind.