PDA

View Full Version : Noise from Bandsaw...

John Grace
09-01-2014, 7:13 PM
I hear a 'disturbing' sound coming from the lower wheel area of my Grizzly bandsaw. It makes something similar to a 'pop' noise followed immediately by a 'wheezing' like sound. At first I thought it was the motor going bad. Fearing that, I slipped the belt off the pulley and ran the motor without load...whisper quiet. A machinist I know suggested the blade may have gone bad so I removed the Woodslicer re-saw blade and re-installed the cheap 3/8" OEM version. Quieter but the noise is still there. Today, I was able to further isolate the noise in so much as it only makes the noise immediately upon completion of a cut or backing the stock off of the blades' cutting edge. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:(

Jamie Buxton
09-01-2014, 7:57 PM
Try a test with the blade on the saw, but back off all the guides so they don't touch the blade. Perhaps the noise is actually coming from the guides.

Matt Day
09-01-2014, 9:25 PM
Tough to tell from the description but I'd take a guess it's a bearing that's going bad.

Since you've verified the motor is okay, put the belt back on and keep the blade off so that only the lower wheel is spinning. Still whisper quiet? If not you know it's something with the lower wheel, like the lower wheel bearing.

If it's still quiet, put the blade on with the guides all the way out so they are no where near the blade. Still quiet? Then it's not the upper wheel either and it's likely something with the guides.

Perry Holbrook
09-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Put on a fresh sharp blade and see if anything changes. I have from time to time heard a strange noice from my 17" Grizzly BS. It seems to happen when I am pushing too hard to make a cut due to a dull blade. The noise happens when I either stop or pause mid cut. I don't think I've ever heard it from a fresh blade. I've always suspected it was the blade harmonics , due to extra stress in the metal. It may also be related to blade tension changing during the cut due to a dull blade. Just a personal theory, no scientific proof.

Perry

Perry

Dan Hunkele
09-02-2014, 3:21 PM
It is probably the lower blade thrust bearing. The back of the blade rides against the bearing while cutting and is free when not. It is right behind the guides and is vibrating when the pressure is off and it is free wheeling to a stop.

Bob Wingard
09-02-2014, 6:17 PM
Yup +1 .....

Gus Dundon
09-05-2014, 2:30 PM
Probably blade, guide or bearings issue. Watch the Alex Snodgrass' video.

John Grace
09-05-2014, 7:46 PM
All GREAT suggestions and ideas. I've always been far more comfortable with the woodworking portion of woodworking as opposed to those times when I'm forced to be a machinist. thanks...John

John Grace
09-05-2014, 7:50 PM
Matt...My first go was running the motor on it's own without any load/belt on, quiet. Next, I ran it with the belt connected to the lower wheel but without the blade, again quiet. Based on that analysis and the comments by you and others I suspect now it's something to do with either the lower bearings or the lower thrust bearing. Thanks for 'confirming' I was on the right track...

Sean Troy
09-05-2014, 7:59 PM
Check the weld on the blade. May be ready to let go.

Steve Baumgartner
09-06-2014, 8:43 AM
My Laguna sometimes makes a noise sort of like you describe when I release the pressure at the end of a cut. On mine it is definitely the thrust bearing spinning down after the pressure comes off it.