PDA

View Full Version : Breathing Protection

Lloyd Robins
07-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi, all! I have been down for a couple of months with pneumonia and alergies, and have not been out in the shop (garage) for a while. :( The experience has reminded me that I really like breathing, and I have been thinking of how to take the best care of my lungs possible. This has brought up questions of what is the best way to protect our lungs. Of course a dust collector is a place to start, but I wonder what you use for breathing protection. I have use a 3M half mask, but is there something better? What do you recommend? Thanks.

Scott Loven
07-08-2005, 12:43 PM
I would look at a positive pressure respirator. Has anyone tried this one from Garrett Wade (http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=106387&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12409&iSubCat=12382&iProductID=106387)?
Scott

Cecil Arnold
07-08-2005, 2:02 PM
Do you mean other than moving away from LA? (LOL, this from someone living in a town that seems to compete with LA for smog capitol) You might consider a Trend air shield. It is a reasonably good filter, good vision and eye protection, doesn't weigh too much and with the air flow over your face isn't too hot. I use mine in conjunction with a DC when doing very high dust operations like sanding and routing.

Karl Laustrup
07-08-2005, 3:12 PM
I also have a Trend Air Shield. I use it whenever I'm doing any cutting, sanding, jointing, planing, in other words when I'm in the shop. It is quite comfortable and I usually forget I even have it on. The cool air blowing around your face is very nice, especially during these warm summer days.

I figured my health was consideration #1 and I am trying to do everything possible to insure that I do no further damage to my respitory system. I also wear hearing protection at any time a machine is running. I don't want to be deaf either.

My 2 cents.

Karl

Roger Everett
07-08-2005, 3:55 PM
While on this subject: back in the early 90's, I had 2 cabinets I needed to spray a coat on the bottoms, was using varnish. Only take 15 min., I didn't bother with a mask, as I finished I could feel all my nose hairs stuck together, by the time I cleaned the gun and hit the road for a 10 min. ride home ,I got to caughing so bad I couldn't catch my breath. The next morning it was really bad , went to Doctor, I can't spell the name but it was a kind of chemical pneumonia. I was really messed up for 2 months, and for 10-12 years afterward if I was around painters using a oil based paint in an enclosed area I would have resp. problems. Wisdom is gained by having screwed up and knowing better the next time, Also the amount of wisdom aquired is directly related to the cost.
Roger