PDA

View Full Version : Cutting with knife versus laser

Brandie Thrasher
09-01-2014, 9:55 AM
I was reading that you cant cut vinyl (specifically LP's) with your laser because of the toxic fumes. My question is this: Is there some sort of attachment (like a knife) that goes onto the laser that would be "safe" to use? I was reading that this is what they use to get that precision cut but not sure since I haven't found anything like this for my machine.

Scott Shepherd
09-01-2014, 9:57 AM
You'd want a vinyl plotter for doing that kind of work. Not very practical to try and make a laser do that kind of work.

Lee DeRaud
09-01-2014, 10:06 AM
They make drag-knife attachments for CNC routers, if you have access to one of those.

(Main issue with the laser is the motion system: it's only designed to move the very-lightweight lens assembly, and incredibly slow in the Z-axis. Not to mention the need for custom firmware.)

Mark Sipes
09-01-2014, 10:08 AM
I have not seen a laser that raises the head or lowers the table when it comes to the end of a cut....impractical. need a plotter

Tony Lenkic
09-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Brandie,
You do not list what laser you own,

There is one machine I know of that can be fitted to utilize vinyl cutting function with proper knife attachment. It is Xenetech Duo laser/drag engraving machine.
As others have suggested your best option is to purchase vinyl cutter for under 1K.

David Somers
09-01-2014, 12:03 PM
So...I have never seen a vinyl cutter operate. Is it capable of going through something as dense/firm as an LP record? Seems like they were meant more for the type of vinyl used in signs?

If an LP is too heavy for that kind of cutter, would a CNC be more appropriate?

Brandie, if you are not doing these in volume, would a modest size scroll saw do the job? Much less expensive than a laser or CNC. Just a thought.

Dave

Scott Shepherd
09-01-2014, 1:42 PM
Good catch Dave! I missed the "LP" part. A vinyl plotter won't cut a record, no.

AL Ursich
09-01-2014, 2:13 PM
A plotter won't do LP thick vinyl like posted above but if you do some searching here about plotters.... You will find posts that they paid for themselves a few times a year in projects... Might be something to add to your wish list. And get one that can read registration marks too... as you might get into stickers at a later time and having the ability to read registration marks will be half the battle.

As for the LP Records... if that is what you are doing? A CarveWright is a HOBBY Wood CNC machine that might work for you. I use it to cut plastic as it has a 14.5 inch wide bed. You will get a lot of BOO HISS about the CarveWright but the growing pains are over.... it is a very reliable machine today. Worth a look, they have a forum.

Good Luck,

AL

Matt McCoy
09-01-2014, 3:50 PM
Brandi:

CNC would be the way to go.

http://www.designboom.com/design/vinylize-produces-eyewear-from-unwanted-vinyl-records-02-21-2014/

Watch the video. It's pretty interesting.