PDA

View Full Version : Trade in

Brandie Thrasher
09-01-2014, 9:36 AM
Is there a company that allows trade ins for an upgrade on engravers? I am looking to use my machine as a trade in for an upgrade. Is this possible? Does anyone know if there is a company out there that does this?

Greg Bednar
09-01-2014, 12:35 PM
You are about a 1 hour and 20 minute drive from Golden, CO - perhaps a call to Epilog ( located in Golden ) and a subsequent followup trip ( if the phone conversation is successful ) might be indicated. - That's a start. - I see in your profile you have Rabbit - so best of luck there.

Dan Hintz
09-01-2014, 2:10 PM
If it's a name-brand laser (Epilog, ULS, Trotec, etc.), they'll likely give you a token amount for the laser, depending upon value (say, 20% of the value). If it's a Chinese brand, no chance.

Gary Hair
09-01-2014, 7:20 PM
Just like with a car, sell it yourself and you will get several times more out of it than trading it in. The value of a trade-in is usually the amount they can take off the price anyway...

Kevin Gregerson
09-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Just like with a car, sell it yourself and you will get several times more out of it than trading it in. The value of a trade-in is usually the amount they can take off the price anyway...

I've offered 4k on the trade in of 14 year old universal lasers. So it really depends on the product you are trading in.

-Kevin

Dan Hintz
09-02-2014, 6:39 AM
I've offered 4k on the trade in of 14 year old universal lasers. So it really depends on the product you are trading in.

The laser tubes don't really go bad... a simple overhaul (regas and possibly swap out the RF boards) and its good to go. That alone is nearly $4k worth... essentially it's good will you're buying beyond that. Seems like a good deal. Company gets a working tube they can swap out when another goes bad, and the customer feels like they didn't walk away with nothing.

Mike Null
09-02-2014, 7:55 AM
I would say sell it yourself. If it's working you should be able to move it quickly and at a far better price than trading it in. That also puts you in a far better negotiating position as you would then be open to play the field.

Bert Kemp
09-02-2014, 8:28 AM
Is there a company that allows trade ins for an upgrade on engravers? I am looking to use my machine as a trade in for an upgrade. Is this possible? Does anyone know if there is a company out there that does this?
What machine are you trying to trade or sell????

Kevin Gregerson
09-02-2014, 7:38 PM
The laser tubes don't really go bad... a simple overhaul (regas and possibly swap out the RF boards) and its good to go. That alone is nearly $4k worth... essentially it's good will you're buying beyond that. Seems like a good deal. Company gets a working tube they can swap out when another goes bad, and the customer feels like they didn't walk away with nothing.

Rebuilding the machine and turning it around for 50 percent more is usually what we see since universal lasers systems are so easily rebuilt back to new spec. Normally we resell these systems for 6-10k depending on the system and how far we've upgraded it as they can be pretty easily upgraded with new wiring and cpu boards with usb connections. But for the customers side, yes, rebuilding the system and selling it is the way to go if your time doesn't mean a lot. I'd venture to guess a customer that doesn't know what they are doing will spend between 8-16 hours rebuilding the system to bring it back into a 6-8k range.

Bill George
09-03-2014, 8:14 AM
What machine are you trying to trade or sell????

My guess its the Chinese made Rabbit Laser he was having problems with...