PDA

View Full Version : A quick little project for my son's birthday

Gary Herrmann
07-08-2005, 10:25 AM
He'll be 5 this weekend. Every little boy needs a sword and shield when he hunts dragons in the backyard, doesn't he? Need to put straps on the shield and make a belt for the sword tonight when I get home.

M for Michael. My wife picked the images for the heraldry. And yes, his favorite holiday is Halloween.

Finish isn't great (spray paint and spray poly) because I had to rush through it. I'm thinking he probably won't notice though. ;)

Michael Gibbons
07-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Looks good Gary. I wouldn't worry about the finish either. After the first dragon slaying, the sheild will look well used from a hard fought battle.

Jason Tuinstra
07-08-2005, 1:42 PM
Gary, too cool! My kids would love that (so would the doctor! :) ). Nothing better than battle implaments to make a long summer day go by.

If you weren't the best, I'm sure you are now!

Dave Brandt
07-08-2005, 1:54 PM
Very nice Gary! I made one for my sons when they were 4 and 5. The older just left for the Air Force Academy and in his belongings that he wanted us to store for him was that beat up old sword (made of cedar)!

scott spencer
07-08-2005, 2:38 PM
I called my wife in to see your project. She said it looked alot like one I did a few years back for our now 10 year old. Your son love it and will appreciate that it's hand made by you.

Gail O'Rourke
07-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Perfect, my 7 year old is going to want one...

John Hart
07-09-2005, 7:09 AM
Very Cool Gary....I'm sure that Michael will invent all sorts of reasons and explanations for the symbols to make it extra exciting....You'll have to let us know what he comes up with!

Gary Herrmann
07-09-2005, 7:28 PM
Michael is busily "act fighting" in the backyard. Totally oblivious to the 90+ degree heat. He's already asked me if I can hang the shield on his wall so his room will look like his Lego Knight castle.

I may have to make a battle axe and a dirk as well. Haven't mentioned it yet tho...

There is nothing like watching the joy in your son's eyes. When I gave it to him, his response was "Ooooh, cooool!" "Daddy, did you make this for me?" When I said yes, he gave the sword a practice swing, put his arm through the shield straps, checked himself out, then ran over and gave me a big hug - nearly braining me with the shield.

It was worth the potential bump on the noggin.

Mike Stanton
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
That's great he will play with it for years. Mike