PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding an electrical switch

Mike Henderson
08-31-2014, 7:22 PM
I'm looking for a single pole, double throw, center off switch - Decora style in light almond. I found this one (http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5685-2T-Single-Pole-Maintained-Contact/dp/B003AU6RL8#cm_cr_dpwidget) but it's pricey - a bit over $50. Wonder if anyone knows of a less expensive one. I will use it to control a two speed attic fan. So the double throw will do the high and low speeds, and the center off will turn it off.

I could go with two switches, one a three way (which is actually a single pole, double throw) and a separate switch to turn the fan off and on, but I'd prefer not to have to increase the size of the box.

And, yes, I could use a stacked switch (two three way switches in the space of one switch) but I'd prefer not to.

Looks like this. Any ideas, pointers, etc. appreciated.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGetAttachment.jsp?cItemId=Q7EGY5X57chnlDYRjqaxT g&label=IBE&appName=IBE&sitex=10251:22372:US

Mike

Malcolm Schweizer
09-01-2014, 9:28 AM
Have you tried Home Depot? They sell this type by Lutron. I am not sure about the center off double throw, but they have many variations. Just beware of the switch with the little sliding dimmer next to the switch. Two of two have gone bad for me.

Mike Henderson
09-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Have you tried Home Depot? They sell this type by Lutron. I am not sure about the center off double throw, but they have many variations. Just beware of the switch with the little sliding dimmer next to the switch. Two of two have gone bad for me.
Thanks, for the suggestion - I have looked there. The single pole, double throw, center off is an unusual switch, but one I need for a two speed fan. A dimmer type switch will not work for this situation.

I'm sure the price reflects the fact that not many people need that type of switch so they don't sell very many.

Mike

Tom Stenzel
09-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Mike, the list price for that switch is $110. What kind of Unobtanium is it filled with?

I found it for less but only in quantities of four or more. What if any requirements would you be willing to relax to drop the price? But then in that case you probably can find a solution without any help.

-Tom

Mike Henderson
09-01-2014, 8:08 PM
Mike, the list price for that switch is $110. What kind of Unobtanium is it filled with?

I found it for less but only in quantities of four or more. What if any requirements would you be willing to relax to drop the price? But then in that case you probably can find a solution without any help.

-Tom

Tom - I found it for about $50 on Amazon - look here (http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5685-2T-Single-Pole-Maintained-Contact/dp/B003AU6RL8#cm_cr_dpwidget). I found on a bit cheaper at a fan place but after I pay their shipping it would be close to $50 (and I wouldn't get it for maybe a week, or more) so I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon (with free two day shipping).

I think it's expensive because it's kind of an oddball. The manufacturer has to make a certain number of them and distribute them, and they don't sell a lot of them - so the unit cost is high. If every house had to have one of these, they'd be a few dollars. Certainly there's not any real extra cost to make a single pole double throw, center off. A "three way" switch is a single pole, double throw (but not center off) and those are about $5.

Mike

Ruperto Mendiones
09-02-2014, 12:02 AM
McMaster has what you want for ~ $10 or $50 for a 30 amp rated one.

Brian Elfert
09-02-2014, 9:33 AM
I don't see anything at McMaster-Carr that is a Decora style switch that meets his needs. Maybe I missed it.

Brian Elfert
09-02-2014, 10:05 AM
MSRPs on electrical products are ridiculous. Standard breakers I have seen with MSRPs of about $50 each even though they sell for $5 or less at home improvement stores.

Chris Padilla
09-02-2014, 5:03 PM
MSRPs are what they are...suggested. :)

Bill Orbine
09-02-2014, 7:00 PM
Not sure if this will satisfy your needs........on eBay:
Leviton 5685-W Decora Plus Rocker Switch SP 15A White

Keep in mind.... it's rated for 15 amps.

Mike Henderson
09-02-2014, 7:50 PM
Thanks for finding that, Bill. I would have preferred to find it in light almond but for the price I probably would have bought it. But I already bought the one off Amazon.

15 amps would not be a problem. The fan motor is certainly less than 1 HP (maybe not even a half HP) and that would equal less than 15 amps.

Mike

Don Jarvie
09-02-2014, 8:40 PM
FYI. The double throws at HD are in the ceiling fan section. I just bought one a month ago. One side for the light and other for the fan.

by the way there not the easiest to find in the store.