PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Cutterhead

Peter Engelmann
07-08-2005, 9:54 AM
I'm on the fence about getting a Byrd cutterhead for my DJ-20. Most reviews are positive but I have a question.

I had to adjust the parallel the other day and the first step is to set the outfeed table .015 over the cutterHEAD, not the blades. Is there any issues doing this with the multiple cutters and the spiral configuration on the Byrd?

Alan Turner
07-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Peter,
I have the Byrd on an old 12" jointer, which I love. I think there would be an issue here of registering to the head as the head itself, as distinguished from the cutters, is not a smooth cylinder. I think to adjust the parallel you would need to work from the cutters, but I don't see this as undoable. I think the reason that Delta has you setting the table to the head is so that if the knives are cocked, you don't set it out of plane, but perhpas I misunderstand the Delta process.

But, once set, and assuming you do not move the jointer, the outfeed table should not have to be set again. After a move -- well, that is another story.

Chris Rosenberger
07-09-2005, 1:11 PM
The reason Delta has you set the table .015 over the cutter head on the DJ20 is to reduce tearout & chipping.

John Miliunas
07-09-2005, 5:48 PM
Peter, that's the same setup I have in my shop (DJ20 w/Shelix head by Byrd). Any adjustments I've made to the beds have simply been off the cutters themselves and all is good. If you're "sitting on the fence", get down, walk over to the phone and get your order in!:) The DJ20 is a great machine all to itself, but the Shelix head takes it up to the next level and, while doing that, takes your noise level down a few notches!:D :cool: