PDA

View Full Version : Spots on old finish

Ralph Okonieski
08-31-2014, 2:50 PM
I made a walnut "crate" (for lack of a better term), as a gift for a relative a few years ago. It has been maybe 7 years or so. The relative passed away last Xmas and the "crate" was returned to me. I remember using BLO on it for the finish. I do not think I put any top coat over that but am not completely sure. I might have mixed in a little varnish but do not think so. If it had a top coat, the finish would have been wiped and it does not show any signs of wiping. I'm pretty sure it is only BLO. There are scratches in it in places that also lead me to believe there is no topcoat.

The finish has spots on it that must have come from some foreign liquid dropped on it. I've tried wiping the area of the spots with denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, just putting dark wax over it, recoating (a single spot) with tung oil (did not have BLO in the shop). Not all of those trials were made on the same spot but in different areas. I washed the entire item with a solution of water and simple green before trying anything. The spots were there BEFORE I washed it; the water solution did not leave any marks or anything that leaves me to believe the spots were water induced.

Any suggestions on how to remove the spots? I would re-sand and re-oil or use another type of finish if it would eliminate the spots. The picture shows the spots more readily than they actually appear; it must be the lighting.

I did search the forum but did not seem to find a similar issue; it could have been poor search criteria on my part.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.