PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Speed-Bloc Finishing Sander

Gary Thinglum
08-30-2014, 8:17 PM
I have a P/C Model 330 sander which I believe has a broken spring on the paper holder. Does anyone know how to disassembly the base to replace the spring, or see what the problem is. I've been on Google but, it didn't seem to be much help.
I was sanding when one of the paper holders failed to hold the paper on the pad. There must be a way to replace them as they sell replacement springs. Thanks for your help. Gary

Bill Orbine
08-30-2014, 8:38 PM
Try this link below. Exploded view of the sander. It's a little bit cumbersome link to view.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Porter-cable-Parts/Sander-Parts/Model-330/3108/0743000/P0307023/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Gary Thinglum
08-30-2014, 9:28 PM
Thanks Bill, I do have that sheet in my manual however, it does not show how to get the base apart. I don't want to damage it trying to get it apart.

Bruce Wrenn
08-30-2014, 9:44 PM
There are four screws that hold pad assembly to body.

Gary Thinglum
08-31-2014, 7:52 AM
Thanks Bruce, I had also removed them. The base still did not come off. I'm wondering if it is pressed onto the bearing? I really hate to try and pry the base off for fear of damaging the base.

Gary Thinglum
08-31-2014, 5:56 PM
Looked at the base again this afternoon. There is a "allen bolt" in the center of the base under the rubber pad. I looked at it several times but, it did not look like an allen bolt. Anyway, I put an 1/8" allen wrench in it and it came out.
This allows the base to come off and access to the paper holders and hold-down springs. I still cannot figure out how to remove the "pins" which hold the springs in. I tried to punch out with a pin punch however, they do not want to budge. Doesn't appear to be anything holding them but, they still do not want to come out.
Any thoughts............anyone.
Thanks, Gary

Gary Thinglum
09-22-2014, 8:36 AM
Update: (removing old and installing new springs) The pins do slide out but, because of the tension on them I could not tap them out, without fear of damaging the paper holding clamp. When I got the new springs, I cut the other spring tension ear on the other end of the old spring off and it loosened up immediately allowing me to pull the pin out. REPLACING NEW SPRINGS Replacing the new springs is also a job. I cut two pieces of 1/8" ID copper tubing about 4 or 5 inches long. After putting the new spring on the base plate holder then sliding the pin thru one end of the hold down clamp and almost thru the other end I slipped the copper tubing over the two spring tension ears and pulled them down. Unless you have three hands I think it would be hard to do it by yourself. My wife held the springs down with the copper tubing and I lined up the hole on the other end of the paper holder clamp then, pushed it through. We replaced both of them in about 10 minutes. Wow what a difference in paper tension. In removing the other old spring I found out the copper tubing worked great to relax the tension so you can remove the old spring.