PDA

View Full Version : Notes from the underground.

Dan Forman
07-08-2005, 4:14 AM
Well, OK, it's just my basement, but "the underground" has a better ring to it.

I finally have my 220V power, machines are up and running, though dust collector is not operable yet. Started milling wood for the workbench featured in "Woodsmith" magazine, which will serve until I know exactly what features I want in a permanent bench, and have the skills to build it. It's just 2 x 4's laminated together for the base, and a solid core door for the top, but gives me an excuse to use the J/P, and I now have a stack of very straight sections of 1 3/8 x 3 3/8" doug fir which looks a lot better than what came through the door to begin with. If anyone has built this bench, and has comments they would like to share, please feel free.

I picked up a dehumidifier yesterday, as humidity in the basement was running about 60%. Now it's down to 35-40%, but there is an unexpected tradeoff. The unit generates some heat, so the temp has risen from a nice cool 65 degrees to about 75, still much more pleasant than the garage however.

When we installed the 220V, we also put in a 110 circuit with five ceiling mounted outlets for lighting. I have a stash of shop lights from my days of starting garden plants from seed, five of which are now hanging from the ceiling and making a major contribution to the available light down there, which was rather dim before. I found that using one "warm" and one "cool" bulb in each fixture greatly improves the ambiance, much more pleasant than with only "sunlight" type bulbs.

Hope to have the bench done by next weekend, will post pics.

Dan

Rob Russell
07-08-2005, 7:53 AM
Dan,

In the summertime I try to keep the humidity in my basement shop down to 60 percent humidity. I could run the dehumidifier harder, but I figure 60 is good enough. As it is, the basement warms up a fair amount and we're just getting into July.

I wouldn't worry about getting down to 35-40 percent. If you're worried - hold it at 50 percent.

Rob

Dave Ray
07-09-2005, 10:08 AM
I found that using one "warm" and one "cool" bulb in each fixture greatly improves the ambiance, much more pleasant than with only "sunlight" type bulbs.

Dan, I really like this idea and hope you don't mind if I copy it. I'm in the process of re-lighting my shop and your idea really makes sense to me. Good luck with your "Underground" move.

Dave :)