PDA

View Full Version : Big Broad Axe

Mel Miller
08-30-2014, 4:24 PM
Found this at a swap meet yesterday. I don't normally pay a lot of attention to broad axes, but this one was pretty big.
Couldn't make out the makers' name until I got it home, and was pleased to find "Yerkes & Plumb" which dates it to 1869 - 87.
Cutting edge is over 14" wide, and the head alone weighs nearly 9 1/2 lb. Nice old proper short offset handle. Had to replace the wedge. The head was loose and the wedge came out in little pieces. Left the new wedge long so it would be easier to get out if you wanted to reverse the handle. These heads were ambidextrous.
Seller asked me if "I knew what it was?" , and I replied "yes". He then proceded to explain it was used to make shingles - "see that flat side?". I just smiled. 295796295797295798

Tom M King
08-30-2014, 4:52 PM
That's a nice one. Here's a picture of me using one to smooth up a dry Maple beam we were hewing. The head also came from a junk store, and I got the handle off ebay.

Winton Applegate
08-30-2014, 5:15 PM
Hey . . . I like THAT !
I'm gonna get me one and put it in a rack on the back of my bicycle, prominently displayed.
The drivers will give me a W I D E birth then. :p

Maybe add some kind of big O' chrome plated spike off the butt. ;)

Jim Matthews
08-30-2014, 5:59 PM
Grappling hooks may be more effective, but if you must pummel - you need a proper pommel.

ray hampton
08-30-2014, 6:23 PM
Hey . . . I like THAT !
I'm gonna get me one and put it in a rack on the back of my bicycle, prominently displayed.
The drivers will give me a W I D E birth then. :p

Maybe add some kind of big O' chrome plated spike off the butt. ;)

being able to see it will require it being higher than your head so we can see it

ray hampton
08-30-2014, 6:26 PM
Big broad axe , women were call broads a long time ago, I hope this is not a big woman axe

Winton Applegate
08-30-2014, 6:28 PM
proper pommel.

Ball and claw no less !
Grappling hooks . . . makes me think of a thing that might draw the crazy drivers closer and keep them near.
I want something that convinces them that I am easily more insane and dangerous than they are and makes them beat it off home and draw up the draw bridge lest I breach their portals and eat their children.

You know . . . a tool to create a certain ambiance.

Winton Applegate
08-30-2014, 7:09 PM
higher than your head
Contrary to popular opinion my head is not high. At least not artificially. Naturally . . . perhaps. I do my best to keep it so.

And I ride in the traditional road position (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJujncdrZBo); quite low.

PS: I am concerning my self with the drivers coming up from behind so actually butt level would be enough. That is where may of them's head is.
I mean sitting in a car. WHAT were YOU thinking ?
Ha, ha,
Yah for some that is true. Smelly and dark.

The ones coming up from the front can see my face and that is enough to send the stout of heart whimpering off in another direction. To quote a friend "A look that would send sane men scampering into trees".

Jim Matthews
08-30-2014, 7:16 PM
You just need an Herbalife sticker to achieve those sort of results,
weaponry not required.

Winton Applegate
08-30-2014, 7:19 PM
Ha, ha,
watch it

Broad
Like this ? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwtf2Tcoldk)
These two seem to have things well defined.

ray hampton
08-30-2014, 7:59 PM
Contrary to popular opinion my head is not high. At least not artificially. Naturally . . . perhaps. I do my best to keep it so.

And I ride in the traditional road position (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJujncdrZBo); quite low.

PS: I am concerning my self with the drivers coming up from behind so actually butt level would be enough. That is where may of them's head is.
I mean sitting in a car. WHAT were YOU thinking ?
Ha, ha,
Yah for some that is true. Smelly and dark.

The ones coming up from the front can see my face and that is enough to send the stout of heart whimpering off in another direction. To quote a friend "A look that would send sane men scampering into trees".

I drive a suv ,before that , a pickup so I would be looking down at most bikers so the axe will need to be higher than your bike

Winton Applegate
08-30-2014, 9:23 PM
being able to see it will require it being higher than your head so we can see it
I will have to ring off soon I think I hear the mother ship and people are already slashing their wrists so they don't have to read any more of this ( I can hear them)(awful) . . . but . . .

so I would be looking down at most bikers so the axe will need to be higher than your bike
well that was a change. A nice compromise perhaps. Thank you for that.

by your logic pedal reflectors, red rear flashing light and the general shape of the bicycle would have to be "higher than my bike" for you to see it.
What ?
and
since butt level (the seat) is the highest component on the bike I am sure
you will see it
you will do fine.
Don't worry.

Jim Koepke
08-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Found this at a swap meet yesterday.

Did that have anything to do with the doings in Pacwood, WA?

We went on that hunt Friday. Found a few things (separate post after a chance to photo them). Mostly a nice long drive interspersed with rusty things to hunt. The wife loves long drives.

Saw an interesting Jennings tool box.

jtk

Mel Miller
08-30-2014, 11:37 PM
Did that have anything to do with the doings in Pacwood, WA?

We went on that hunt Friday. Found a few things (separate post after a chance to photo them). Mostly a nice long drive interspersed with rusty things to hunt. The wife loves long drives.

jtk

Yes it was Packwood. Lots of walking, but little of interest to me. Actually bought the axe at the first booth I looked in. That place is swarming with collectors & dealers looking for merchandise which means anything good is quickly picked up.