PDA

View Full Version : The garage sale

Moses Yoder
08-30-2014, 4:17 AM
I requested 2 hours of vacation Friday before Labor Day (yesterday) and planned on leaving at 11:30. I invited myself to mom's place for lunch and a cup of coffee. Most of the shop was set free at 9:30, I stayed until my scheduled time. On the way over to moms I took the main highway, US 20, and then turned off on CR 29. There was a garage sale sign on the corner, Down the road there was a smaller sign pointing into a subdivision built in the mid-80s. The subdivisions along this road are for high middle income people; nice places but a step down from the modern McMansions.

As I walked up a voice from the dark back corner of the garage greeted me. I could not see the body attached to it but said hello. I looked around and noticed nothing was less than $5. Still I decided to keep looking. Inside the garage I saw the owner of the voice, a young teenage girl old enough to be into fashion but not old enough to drive. The rebellious age.

I wandered around to the very back of the garage and saw an antique porcelain pitcher in nice shape; the type that had some patina but not in bad shape. I looked for a price tag unsuccessfully. I asked the voice how much for the pitcher and she replied "A Buck." I said "Well in that case I'll take it" and pulled out my wallet. She replied "It's not mine." I said "Oh, really?" And she said "No, it's my dad's. It's his own fault for not putting a price on it."

I left thinking about the exchange that would take place later. In a small way I felt vindicated for the time I had pulled out a box full of old block planes and some drills and told Meg I wanted them sold at our garage sale. I asked her to price them reasonably but not so much they wouldn't sell and left for work. When I got home from work they were all gone. I asked how much she charged and she replied "A buck apiece." Well, I didn't have to look at them any more and I had 30 dollars off the deal so I decided to be happy. I wonder how the exchange went between the voice and her dad?