PDA

View Full Version : Here's my latest laser project

Bruce Boone
08-29-2014, 9:26 PM
Here's a technique I've worked on for quite some time without success. The trick is combining separate engraving and cutting lasers and getting the artwork to jive. I need to engrave the outer ring with my YAG engraving laser and remove it and realign it in the fiber cutting laser. The artwork needs to be lined up well enough to appear continuous, and I need to allow for the different kerfs. The engraving laser has a 19 micron (.0008") spot size, and the cutting laser kerf is about .005" in this thickness (.030') titanium. I previously had a problem in the cutting laser where pieces cut through would fall inside the ring and jam on a copper heat sink I had in the center that keeps the beam from blasting through the opposite wall. I finally figured that issue out and took that out of the equation. I'll keep what I did a trade secret, but that allows me to do designs that I never had luck making before. The trumpet ring shown is a good example. It has 4 trumpets going around the outside, and the cut details can be seen in scale with the straight pin. The ring is a typical mans ring in size 10 x 7.5mm wide. I can scale artwork to make different size rings. Needless to say, I was pretty pumped when I finally got this to work.

Bert Kemp
08-29-2014, 9:32 PM
Wow Bruce that is awesome. I can see why your a happy camper:D

Rich Harman
08-30-2014, 12:49 AM
Wow Bruce that is awesome. I can see why your a happy camper:D

Agreed! I'm not into jewelry of any sort, but after seeing that, I want!