PDA

View Full Version : Too much power (Laser cut5.3)

anthony carroll
08-29-2014, 4:00 PM
Hi I recently changed my laser from a 50W to a 60W tube I had a problem and managed to damage my power supply for the tube. I changed out this also and the laser has never been cutting better but I have a small problem when I want to do light engraving I am getting too much power it wont fire under less than 6mA. I can use the manual power setting on my laser engraver to get this down to 3mA and this is a good setting for me my tube fires at about 2.4mA.

I need to figure a way to get the power down to a lower power without using the manual override on the machine any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Hintz
08-29-2014, 5:27 PM
Hi I recently changed my laser from a 50W to a 60W tube I had a problem and managed to damage my power supply for the tube. I changed out this also and the laser has never been cutting better but I have a small problem when I want to do light engraving I am getting too much power it wont fire under less than 6mA. I can use the manual power setting on my laser engraver to get this down to 3mA and this is a good setting for me my tube fires at about 2.4mA.

I need to figure a way to get the power down to a lower power without using the manual override on the machine any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the world of Chinese lasers. You will have a difficult time getting it to fire at very low settings. There should be a setting to adjust the range "0-100%" gives you, but I can't tell you how to get to it (and it's usually hidden behind a password).

anthony carroll
08-29-2014, 6:20 PM
Hi I have fount some setting that needed a password I had the password but still not change no mater what setting I change.

Steve Schlumpf
09-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Found this in the wrong forum and moved here. Hope someone can assist Anthony.

Dave Sheldrake
09-15-2014, 9:29 PM
After changing the setting you need to hit "Download CFG" on the software (In the download dialog), wait for the beep then reeboot the machine from cold start. Unless you do that the changes don't get to the firmware of the laser so no changes will be applied.

cheers

Dave

ps: Dan's of course right, too low a power and the tube won't fire, anything under 10% and the beam will be sporadic.

Bob A Miller
09-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Just an FYI..... When I tested my Gwieke the min it would fire at was 11%, about 13% before it was useful.

Martin Boekers
09-16-2014, 9:33 AM
Have you tried change the density of black? By making it a lighter grey this may work for you.

Dave Sheldrake
09-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Martin,

It will make no difference, Lasercut only see's 2 colours, black or white, there is no greyscaling option as it's not a full print driver.

cheers

Dave

Martin Boekers
09-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Maybe an option is to dither? Not sure if this would work or not, the farther apart you move the dots may change the appearance.

Not sure if a neutral density filter exist that could be adapted to you laser, maybe Dan Hintz would know.

Jed Lawrie
09-23-2014, 10:38 AM
You could use the "Half Bitmap" tool if you are using a raster file to ligthen up the image. It's basically the poor man's PhotoGrav

Vicki Rivrud
10-11-2014, 3:43 PM
Hiya Dave,
Yesterday I started to chase a similar problem. I've done all the steps - changed out controller boards (MPC6515) - reinstalled Lasercut, re-checked all the machine cfg settings and now it just want to power at 15ma, whether I cut or engrave.

I am using Win 8.1 64 bit and am wondering if something has buggered-up the download communication to the controller after a recent Windows update.

Have you any idea why the flying optics would get stuck or stop working?

And yes it is my experience that anything set lower than 12-13% power in the software especially if the PAD setting is lower the 100% , the results are sketchy. I keep my pad set at 80/80 and usually can get away with 14% power.

So I am wondering if this new power issue is mechanical, wiring, power supply, controller something else? Any ideas??

Vix

Bill George
10-12-2014, 7:47 AM
Is this a new machine and did it ever work right as far as power adjustment? If you replaced the controller and/or power supply it could be its not connected right. Also in the software there might be a check box in the setup machine for analog or PWM.

Dave Sheldrake
10-12-2014, 8:31 AM
Bill may be on to it Vix, there are two options depending on the J2 jumper for Analog or PWM, have a look in machine settings for the type of control?

cheers

Dave

Vicki Rivrud
10-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Found the problem - after crawling all in the underbelly of the machine - the power supply wire had vibrated loose. It was connected at the controller but not at the ps.

This machine is my workhorse been running for many years. After putting back all the original parts and going back to the originally installed Lasercut, the power and the flying optics work perfectly fine.

Lesson learned?-KNOW your machine intimately - every nook cranny wire bolt screw belt and so on! And check all of it!

I always seem to "blame" the controller but have found there are so many other itty bitty troubleshooters that need to be done!

I previewed the new Leetro Controller - dongles but the file types are no longer ecp - now ftp - the only way to use my library of ecp projects is to go to an another computer - export the ecp file as a plt and then bring into the new Lasercut 6.1 and then save as ftp - - I told Andrew too much work for me, so I continue to use my hardy MPC 6515. I am still fiddling with upgrading it to the 6535 but am not confident in the wiring and the warning they issued about the polarity & possible damage to the machine electrical.

If anyone has swapped out the 6515 to the 6535 - your advise would be greatly appreciated. Ken in Ohio sent me a photo of his machine, which came with the 6535 so I'm trying to sort it out.

Thanks for the responses - Have a fun day!
Vix

Dave Sheldrake
10-12-2014, 1:31 PM
Not much benefit going to the 35 Vix, the servo controller (75 I think) is very good but all the rest 15/25/35/65 are all pretty much the same.

Like you I don't much care for the new version either :(

cheers

Dave

Vicki Rivrud
10-12-2014, 3:18 PM
Thanks Dave,
The only reason to consider the 6535 was for the shielded case to help prevent static build-up & the better handling of corners.

But we have been so busy with some life altering events-I almost lost JR to a life threatening bacterial infection contracted while in surgery, he is still recovering and very busy work load so it hasn't been a high priority since the 6515 has been working great.

Take care,
Vix

Dave Sheldrake
10-12-2014, 3:34 PM
Get the 35 cover, it fits on the 15 (some of the small Chinese dealers have been sending out 15's in 35 cases)

hope JR is doing better, never easy is it sister

cheers

Dave