PDA

View Full Version : CD Burning Program

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-25-2003, 3:16 PM
Before I installed XP I had Easy CD Creator and Direct CD version 4 for burning my CD's. I am told these versions are not supported by XP and I don't think they can be updated. What burning program should I get to replace these programs? I want to make more CD's.

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-25-2003, 4:27 PM
Don, I am running XP, and the program I use is Roxio CD Creater 5. It works just fine, and as a matter of fact, it was included in the software bundle that came with our Dell Computer. We bought the Dell about 1 year ago, and I have had no problems with the program. We also have Windows Media Player, as part of the the XP program, but I don't use it for Burning, just playing. It seems that the Roxio CD Creater works better and is easier to use.

05-25-2003, 6:46 PM
Kevin, I didn't know Media Player would burn CD's. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-25-2003, 7:32 PM
Don, Media will player will allow you to copy files to a playlist, and then burn them to a CD. I have had some good luck with Media Player, and some bad luck too. When you have created your list to burn, then insert the blank CD, it does it's thing and starts copying the files and burning them to the new CD. Sometimes, for reasons unknown to me, the program will just stop, tell you it is complete, and eject the CD, before the playlist has been completely copied. Maybe someone else knows why this happens, but it beats the stuffin' out of me. Sometimes Media Player works fine, and sometimes not. That is why I rely on Roxio CD Creater now, it has never failed me once. Hope this information helps you some............I get around pretty good on this goofy machine, but I am FAR from an expert. ;)

John Miliunas
05-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Don, in XPyou can do BOTH, audio CD's as well as data CD's without the use of an outside application. As Keving mentioned, Media Player is capable of doing the audio CD's (I've had good luck with it, all the way around.) and for copying data, it's as simple as putting the CD in the burner and then using "drag 'n drop, just as you would with your onboard hard drive. (Takes longer, though.) :cool:

Wendell Wilkerson
05-27-2003, 11:00 AM
I use a program called Nero from Ahead softeware. I like it better than Roxio Easy CD creator. The people at my work like it so much better than Roxio, some of them have bought copies with their own money to use at work.

Wendell

Ted Shrader
05-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Wendell Wilkerson
I use a program called Nero from Ahead softeware. I like it better than Roxio Easy CD creator. The people at my work like it so much better than Roxio, some of them have bought copies with their own money to use at work.

Wendell

Gotta jump in with another recommendation for Nero. Works great, easy to use interface.

Ted

Perry Schmidt
05-27-2003, 1:02 PM
Look at RecordNow at www.stompinc.com. It's relatively cheap and easy to use. I bought Easy CD Recorder 5.x for XP and although it works fine, I've actually found some CDs that it can't burn. RecordNow was packaged w/ my fathers new computer, and it burned the problem CDs w/out any problem.

Although I generally like EasyCD creator, I've always had problems w/ their product - found data CDs it couldn't create for one reason or another. (Can't say that about music CDs...no problems there, but I don't burn a lot of music CDs either.) Program just would hang or crash. Plus I think they charge too much. I admit I haven't used RecordNow much but for $40 I'm going to give it a try before buying another version of EasyCd Creator. And the initial use of it I found it very easy to use and worked very well.

Standard disclaimers - no affiliation, etc. Just another suggestion.

Perry

Jim Becker
05-27-2003, 1:27 PM
Originally posted by Ted Shrader
Gotta jump in with another recommendation for Nero. Works great, easy to use interface.

Ditto here...Nero works great.

05-27-2003, 9:24 PM
Thanks, everyone. I think I will try Nero.

John Miliunas
05-27-2003, 10:37 PM
Don, I think you'll like Nero. I've been using it (along with the XP utilities) for a long time now. Heck, I even hear :D that it does a nice job if you like to make backups of copyrighted material. But, that's just what I've heard. :D :cool:

Ken Salisbury
05-28-2003, 9:53 AM
I use Record Now which came with my HP CD Burner Drive. I have not seen a disk that it would not copy. I am very pleased with the way if functions.

Glenn Clabo
05-28-2003, 10:30 AM
I've been using a little program that makes it very easy to burn a CD. It's called BurnQuick and I haven't found anything easier and I've tried a bunch. You just right-click on a file or a folder and select a BurnQuick command from the popup menu. Click on Start and bing-go bang-go ya got a CD.

Not affiliated...just think it's a cool program.

Here's the site BurnQuick (http://www.burnquick.com/)

Andrew Field
05-29-2003, 2:14 PM
I always prefer the windows burning software (unless I need some extra functionality).

I just don't like installing apps because each time I install some application there is a risk that the idiot that wrote the program didn't know what he was doing and may mess up my current configuration. With XP the risk is much lower, but if the software that comes with the OS works just fine, then why not use it.

As long as windows detects your drive as a CD-RW drive you can just right click on any file/folder and select Sent To->CD Drive. Then when you are ready to burn, just click the "Write files to CD" and follow the wizard.

Doug Jones
06-05-2003, 9:37 PM
Originally posted by Wendell Wilkerson
I use a program called Nero from Ahead softeware.

Another vote for Nero