PDA

View Full Version : Disc Sander build

Ron Brese
08-28-2014, 7:20 PM
I pretty much built this over the weekend....well a long weekend. Found the 1/2hp 3 phase motor on the bay, new in box. The 9" disc came from Beaumont Metal works. The disc is a very nicely made piece and runs incredibly balanced. Controlled via a VFD which gives me the ability to run forward, reverse and have digital speed control. I couldn't find everything I needed in a commercially available unit. I use a disc sander for grinding the radius ends on my metal plane bodies among other things, so the special jigging I built into this machine accommodates those needs. These pictures were taken before I added the vfd and required mounting brakets.

Dust collection chamber is integrated into the base. The chambers begins just in front of the disc and is just a little wider than the disc at that point and then tapers to the size of the vac fitting toward the rear of the machine. Collects very efficiently.

Ron

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gtqHHeXt9pA/U_-xBjhg2_I/AAAAAAAABeE/XATJqJdxb5g/s1600/DS1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-69hV__BJvJY/U_-xK8kQc2I/AAAAAAAABeM/bXIZXy3KccY/s1600/DS2.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KXYDKJaMBlg/U_-wzfOUU_I/AAAAAAAABd8/yqY78lsKEA0/s1600/DS3.jpg

Stew Hagerty
08-28-2014, 7:37 PM
Very cool Ron. That's a great idea.

I've been thinking of tearing apart my HF disc/belt sander and making new tables & fences for it. I don't suppose that you, or anyone that reads this, has ever modified a HF sanding center before and could supply advise and/or photos?

Art Mann
08-30-2014, 11:54 AM
I really enjoy seeing nicely done home made tools. They give me good ideas for my own shop. Thanks for sharing this one.

Rick Potter
08-31-2014, 2:42 AM
Nicely made, Ron.

Must be nice to have talent.

Rick P

brad jansen
08-31-2014, 11:41 AM
Nicely done!

David Cramer
09-03-2014, 9:16 PM
Ron,

Man I hate you talented guys:):):):):):):):):) I'm "okay" with building things, but when it comes to the motor part...that's where I don't know exactly what to get and how to hook it up. You do, so kudos to you Ron, and yes I'm jealous:) Great job!

David

HANK METZ
09-05-2014, 8:37 PM
Very cool Ron. That's a great idea.

I've been thinking of tearing apart my HF disc/belt sander and making new tables & fences for it. I don't suppose that you, or anyone that reads this, has ever modified a HF sanding center before and could supply advise and/or photos?

I did modify mine, but I wanted a clamp on/ clamp off buffer station instead:

So now I have a 3- in-1 tool, all in the same footprint.

John T Barker
09-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Damn good looking sander.

Ron Brese
09-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks John. I've been enjoying using it. The Beaumont metal works disc spins incredibly balanced. It hardly makes a noise while it's running.

Ron

Rick Markham
10-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Ron, nice build! looks like the most functional disc sander I have seen! Those guys at Beaumont do some fantastic work, I have one of their belt grinders.

Don Kondra
10-07-2014, 2:02 PM
Nice build Ron !

Have you decided on PSA or hook and loop paper ?

Cheers, Don

Ron Brese
10-07-2014, 2:29 PM
PSA. I found some 8" diameter disc that are paper backed and release easily. I change grits a great deal in my work so the easy release paper backed disc work well for me.

Ron

Don Kondra
10-07-2014, 7:31 PM
Okay,

The reason I ask is I just installed the last disc from a batch I purchased a good twenty years ago.

80% of the adhesive stayed on the disc, sigh...

It took a bath of lacquer thinner to get it clean.

Anywho, I'm thinking to try the hook and loop system but I'm concerned the "extra" material might not give me a completely flat surface on the work ?

Cheers, Don

Ron Brese
10-07-2014, 7:54 PM
Having to use lacquer thinner is never fun. Requires the opening of the all the doors and windows, for a while anyway. I avoid it whenever possible but sometimes I have to resort to that to get the psa remnants off my surface plate.

I have the same concerns about the hook and loop. When I'm grinding the radius on the ends of a plane body I require a truly flat surface with no give.

Ron

Rich Riddle
10-13-2014, 9:59 AM
Very nice looking unit. Those who have talent, use it. The rest of us ...... gawk at projects from those with talent.