PDA

View Full Version : Laminated Bowl

Bill Bulloch
08-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Here is a laminated bowl I recently completed. It is 14 inches in diameter and 9 1/2 inches tall. The woods are: Bubinga, Sycamore, Cocobolo, Redheart, Peruvian Walnut, Walnut, Yellowheart, Zebrawood and Purpleheart. I'll be entering this one in the Georgia National Fair in October.

What ya think?

Mike Campbell KS
08-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Simply outstanding!! It makes me dizzy just looking at it and thinking of trying to make it. Any idea how many pieces it took?

Bill Hensley
08-28-2014, 6:42 AM
Now that is a real eye catcher! Great pattern, I like it!

Michelle Rich
08-28-2014, 6:50 AM
I thinks it is terrific..the colors are bright and eye grabbing , add that to the size and the Georgia fair will have a fireworks show just for this bowl :=) enjoy the fair and thanks for sharing this beauty with us

Steve Schlumpf
08-28-2014, 7:02 AM
Very nice work Bill! Looks like you captured the vortex in a very eye-catching way! Good luck with the fair! Looking forward to seeing a follow-up post showing off the ribbons you are bound to win!

wes murphy
08-28-2014, 9:45 AM
Simply Amazing

Grant Wilkinson
08-28-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm sure that you will do well at the Fair, Bill. It's a great piece!

John M. Smith
08-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Awesome bowl Bill. Good luck at the fair. I'm sure you will do well.

Would really like to see the glued up board before you start cutting out the rings.

Bill Bulloch
08-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Awesome bowl Bill. Good luck at the fair. I'm sure you will do well.

Would really like to see the glued up board before you start cutting out the rings.

Here it is 59 pieces in all, plus the 8 sliced boards and the 39 rings.

Dave Cullen
08-28-2014, 2:13 PM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

John M. Smith
08-28-2014, 2:36 PM
WOW!!!! Thanks for the in process pictures Bill. If you don't mind another question, what are the maximum and minimum width of your strips? Also is there a particular order to make a better looking vortex? I really want to try one if these.

Roger Chandler
08-28-2014, 3:43 PM
I think there is another "Awesome Bill," from Georgia........not just the one from Dawsonville! Bill, that is a very admirable piece of work......as are most all you post..........now where is that clapping hands emoticon? Oh, that was on another forum, but you deserve the applause!!!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Roger

Bill Bulloch
08-28-2014, 4:12 PM
WOW!!!! Also is there a particular order to make a better looking vortex?

Not sure what you mean here, but, rest assured that if I knew a better way I would be using it.

Al Launier
08-28-2014, 4:58 PM
Absolutely crazy great Bill! First place for sure at the fair! You have set an untouchable bar! This bowl will be remembered always!

jwjerry w kowalski
08-28-2014, 6:11 PM
That's some amazing work Bill, I think a first place award for sure.

John M. Smith
08-28-2014, 9:14 PM
I have no idea if there is a better way.The way you do them look great!!!!! I was wondering if you arranged the different woods in a particular order to the great looking spiral that you do? For example, do you keep a lighter bunch on one side versus a light bunch of wood on both sides of the glue up? Sides being on either side of centerline. Or are they put totally random?

Also, what width pieces of wood do you use?

Thanks, John

robert baccus
08-28-2014, 10:01 PM
You really did set the curve--Wow.

Bill Bulloch
08-28-2014, 10:19 PM
John, I think you are going to find that everything with these is pretty much random. If you do enough of them then you might be able to predict how a certain grouping will play out, but I have done 7 or 8 so far and have been surprised with the outcome of each one. Just play with it, random widths, random woods, random patterns and see what you get. They can get expensive though, so I might suggest that you start with a small bowl, say 6 or 7 inches that way you use less wood, spend less time with it and less money. For example, this one took about two weeks to build and has about $125.00 worth of wood in it. I would have really been disappointed had it not worked out to my liking.

Dennis Edwards has a video on YouTube that does a great job of demonstrating the approach, and there is a lot of discussion and a tutorial on the Segmented Woodturning Forum.

Good Luck.

John M. Smith
08-29-2014, 6:04 AM
Thanks for all the help Bill. Think I will take your advice and so a small one first. Maybe use cherry maple walnut oak poplar and some veneers. Will be inexpensive that way.