PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Motor Starter

Anthony Diodati
08-27-2014, 6:54 PM
I was thinking about this starter for my powermatic sander, I will be getting a 3/4 or 1hp motor, to replace the 3 phase motor that is in there now.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Magnetic-Switch-Single-Phase-110V-Only-1-HP/G8290
This starter is about $60.00 with shipping from Grizzly.

Any personal experience with these starters, or will I be better off trying to replace the coil and heater that is on the sander right now, and trying to hook the OEM starter up.
I will be going from 3 phase ,3/4HP motor, to single phase 110V 1HP motor,
Don't know what the coil and heater would cost to convert the OEM one I have now.
I am guessing it is a better starter. (the OEM one)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71MtCpjd9yL._SL1500_.jpg

Matt Day
08-27-2014, 9:23 PM
How much money will you end up spending with the motor and starter and all that? Just curious because you may be better to get a vfd and keep the 3 phase motor, presuming it works of course.

$200 will get you a vfd that will handle up to a 3 hp motor.

Mike Henderson
08-27-2014, 10:44 PM
I agree with Matt. If the 3-phase motor is in good shape, I'd get a VFD. If you ever scrap the sander, keep the VFD for use on some other tool in the future.

Mike

Anthony Diodati
08-28-2014, 2:57 AM
I don't know, l was hoping to "dig up" a used motor somewhere, but they seem harder to find these days.
Yeah, I think the one like l used (VFD) on my oliver lathe is about $140.00. I would have to test the PM 3 Ph. motor, using my Oliver VFD.
Wish I could find a VFD, even a used one, cheap, but I would also like it to be 110 Volt input.
Also, I am trying to put this together with the least amount of money as possible.
If l can't find a used motor, does anyone know if the "Smith and Jones" motors from Harbor Freight are any good. I think with the -25% off coupon and shipping, I can get a 1 HP for about $120.00.
I can't get over how high motors have gotten.
I think actually I might be best off just getting a single phase motor for the sander, and if I get another VFD for the PM motor, I will use it on my Logan lathe.
Variable speed and reversing will be of better use on the logan lathe. The VFD set-up on my Oliver is Awesome.

Thanks guys,
Tony