PDA

View Full Version : Can't we leave the TP alone?

Phil Thien
08-27-2014, 2:11 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/business/when-you-gotta-go-toilet-paper-maker-ditches-the-tube-b99337680z1-272647141.html

They're beginning to make toilet paper with no center cardboard roll. They claim environmental benefits (last time I checked the center rolls were biodegradable and the basis for a great many kindergarten projects).

This kind of reminds me of the recent "door won't close" thread.

It is like we're racing to the bottom, trying to figure out how to save one penny, but giving up ten cents in value.

David Weaver
08-27-2014, 2:19 PM
Where does all of the paper (that required chemical and industrial processes to make) go, as in what do the sanitary authorities do with it. It would seem the problem is the paper and not the core.

I don't doubt that they get a few nutcases who write them and tell them that throwing away those cores is causing the end of the world...

Judson Green
08-27-2014, 2:20 PM
Personal I think its great one last item to havta throw away/recycle. And even though it is biodegradable I wonder if, with all that other trash on top, it really does or how long it takes. The thing that would tick me off is if the roll-less rolls were more expensive.

Phil Thien
08-27-2014, 2:24 PM
Personal I think its great one last item to havta throw away/recycle. And even though it is biodegradable I wonder if, with all that other trash on top, it really does or how long it takes. The thing that would tick me off is if the roll-less rolls were more expensive.

I don't want to fight with the roll of TP to get more than a single sheet. I'm sure Sheryl Crow will love it, though.

Judson Green
08-27-2014, 2:25 PM
Don't ya think it ends up in the same place as our poo?

In Milwaukee we recycle our droppings.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milorganite

Judson Green
08-27-2014, 2:33 PM
I don't want to fight with the roll of TP to get more than a single sheet.

I've no experience with the roll-less TP, perhaps the next shopping trip I'll look for it to see its price and perhaps buy a package and see if it puts up a fight. I'll report back.

But like I was hinting in above post my guess is its marketing thing and probably costs more for less. If true I'd not be interested.

Prashun Patel
08-27-2014, 2:39 PM
When I saw the commercial for this a couple months ago, they cited how many rolls are actually wasted. It's more than you'd think. Even if the savings is only 1 penny, that's a lot of pennies. I am not sure where you are getting ten cents in value, though. Do you like your rolls that much? I smell an idea for a toiletroll app so kids can make virtual projects with electronic toilet rolls.

What will all the gerbils eat, though?

Phil Thien
08-27-2014, 2:52 PM
I am not sure where you are getting ten cents in value, though. Do you like your rolls that much?

The value doesn't come from the leftover roll, it comes from the utility of the roll when dispensing the product.

Chris Padilla
08-27-2014, 3:02 PM
Here at work they changed out all our TP to the "no tube" kind. As you get close to the end, the tightly round TP sticks to itself and tears in chunks and essentially useless. I'm not sure if THAT waste is more or less than the tube kind waste. You obviously have more TP per roll and that may be a factor here. Perhaps, too, it is cheaper?

Jim Koepke
08-27-2014, 3:25 PM
Here at work they changed out all our TP to the "no tube" kind.

The 'no tube' kind has been around for a long time. It dispenses in sheets. We got them to switch to the roll kind many years ago where I used to work. The sheet kind was almost like wax paper. It was a lot of work to get much out a sheet at a time.

Mankind wastes a lot of time trying to come up with a better way to do something that works fine as it is.

jtk

David Weaver
08-27-2014, 3:35 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milorganite

The name sounds like a sheet goods brand. Sludge gets used around here on some farms, including sludge that comes via a septic truck.

David Weaver
08-27-2014, 3:37 PM
One other side comment, having two small kids, we see a lot of cores (paper towels and toilet paper, etc) turned into santa claus crafts or whatever.

But the rule of thumb for whether or not your young toddler can have something small is if it can fit through a toilet paper roll. If it can, they can eat it, and thus you don't give it to them.

If this toilet paper roll thing takes, I guess we'll have some $6.99 plastic version of the toilet paper roll core at target that people will throw away (along with the plastic packaging it comes in) once their kid is no longer small.

Frank Drew
08-27-2014, 3:41 PM
Companies are notorious for giving their employees cheap toilet paper: Where I work they briefly installed super thin single-ply, so thin you could score 20/20 on an eye chart through it, and so frail you couldn't tear off more than one sheet at a time because the perforations were weaker than its rolling resistance. Pathetic, and they soon bowed to the howls of outrage from the staff and gave us normal cheap t.p.

Chris Padilla
08-27-2014, 4:34 PM
normal cheap t.p.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hahahahaha!!! I love it! "Normal" cheap as opposed to "cheap" cheap?! hahahaha....

When they changed to the tubeless here, they also, of course, had to change the holders. We have some new dual holders from Georgia Pacific where you have to finish one roll before you can slide the door over to access the second roll. The TP itself is fine...the normal cheap kind but no tubes. I also noticed that they now install all the TP "over the top" because it is harder to use in these GP contraptions if the TP is put in to roll out from the bottom. I like that feature as I'm a hardcore "over the top" TP installer. I'll even change the direction if I see it at your house. LOL!

Phil Thien
08-27-2014, 5:52 PM
I like that feature as I'm a hardcore "over the top" TP installer. I'll even change the direction if I see it at your house. LOL!

Glad you had the courage to address this. Over the top is the one correct way to load the TP.

ray hampton
08-27-2014, 6:20 PM
Glad you had the courage to address this. Over the top is the one correct way to load the TP.

and what is the second correct way to load a tp roll

Anthony Diodati
08-27-2014, 6:57 PM
The thing that would tick me off is if the roll-less rolls were more expensive.
It probably will be.

Anthony Diodati
08-27-2014, 7:01 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hahahahaha!!! I love it! "Normal" cheap as opposed to "cheap" cheap?! hahahaha....

When they changed to the tubeless here, they also, of course, had to change the holders. We have some new dual holders from Georgia Pacific where you have to finish one roll before you can slide the door over to access the second roll. The TP itself is fine...the normal cheap kind but no tubes. I also noticed that they now install all the TP "over the top" because it is harder to use in these GP contraptions if the TP is put in to roll out from the bottom. I like that feature as I'm a hardcore "over the top" TP installer. I'll even change the direction if I see it at your house. LOL!

Over the top is incorrect IMO

Chris Padilla
08-27-2014, 7:52 PM
Over the top is incorrect IMO

Ooooooo...fanning the flames. I hear from cat folks that over the top is bad since kitty likes to unravel them. I can see that. Our cat has unraveled a few rolls here and there but it isn't a chronic thing so over the top we remain!

Charles Wiggins
08-27-2014, 7:56 PM
(last time I checked the center rolls were biodegradable and the basis for a great many kindergarten projects)

I use them as part of my tender for starting fires in the winter.

Jerry Thompson
08-27-2014, 8:11 PM
Ah for the days of the two holer out back and the Sears & Roebuck catalog. Those were the days in January out on the So. Dak. prairie.

Myk Rian
08-27-2014, 8:54 PM
and what is the second correct way to load a tp roll
Set the roll on the counter next to the sink.

Jason Roehl
08-27-2014, 9:28 PM
Life's too short for cheap TP. Being self-employed, I don't get the opportunity to lay the golden...(you know--while on the clock). But the more public places I've had to visit, the more I prefer home where we use a quality TP that does its job. Not the John Wayne stuff many places buy--it's rough, tough, and it don't take cr@p off nobody.

Because of pets and kids, I used to be adamant that the roll be installed "down the back", but now the kids are all teens, and our two current kitties don't seem to take an interest, so which way the roll goes is so completely unimportant to me. Now, if there's none left when I get there, that's another story...

Lee Reep
08-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Well, I am relieved to know there are a few others that find they MUST reverse the roll. I've been doing this at my in-laws for 30 years, and they have never said a word ...

Now, regarding the tube / no-tube debate:

Notice how the diameter has gotten really big over the years? That irritates me. But I'd rather they keep the tube. I give them to our parrot. He loves to shred them.

ray hampton
08-28-2014, 11:54 AM
I got two bathroom and the vent from furnace is under the tp in the one bathroom, If the roll are install so the paper peel from the front/top , the breeze from the vent will unroll the paper , I had to squeeze the roll to deform the roll so that it is not round any more

Charles Wiggins
08-28-2014, 1:43 PM
But I'd rather they keep the tube. I give them to our parrot. He loves to shred them.

I have a friend who does exotic bird rescue and fostering in Raleigh. She posted on the "no tube" rolls on fb stating that the glue in the rolls contains zinc, which is bad for birds. Apparently, rolls of TP are a favorite chew toy of some birds. I haven't checked all that out anywhere else because I don't do the bird thing.

Anthony Diodati
08-28-2014, 2:02 PM
my car (yeah, my car;, My CAT!!) used to completely shred the TP roll. Paper towels too. Could not put it on the roll even.
I just set in on this stand now, but I keep her out of the bathroom unless I am in there.
But she does leave the paper towels alone now too.

I just think the flap in the back and down, it is easier to tear off with out unrolling too many squares.
I like charmin ultra, 4 squares each wipe is all you need.
To me the cheap stuff is not worth it.

Andrew Joiner
08-28-2014, 2:47 PM
Can't we leave the TP alone?[/h]

We could but life would seem pretty crappy.

David Helm
08-28-2014, 4:44 PM
1. I agree completely with Phil. In fact, just changed a roll to over the top yesterday.
2. TP I buy is completely recycled paper and tube.

Anthony Diodati
08-28-2014, 5:02 PM
1. I agree completely with Phil. In fact, just changed a roll to over the top yesterday.
2. TP I buy is completely recycled paper and tube.

You need to leave other peoples TP alone, over the top is incorrect too, BTY..............LOL

I think I have changed it too, paper towel roll in dollar general restroom......................LOL
Of course, in my case, it was "over the top", and I changed it to the back, and out the bottom.

Phil Thien
08-28-2014, 5:34 PM
I have a friend who does exotic bird rescue and fostering in Raleigh. She posted on the "no tube" rolls on fb stating that the glue in the rolls contains zinc, which is bad for birds. Apparently, rolls of TP are a favorite chew toy of some birds. I haven't checked all that out anywhere else because I don't do the bird thing.

That didn't sound right, so I googled it. Sure enough, no zinc in TP rolls:

http://theparrotuniversity.com/paper-towel-roll-toysdanger

John Coloccia
08-28-2014, 5:35 PM
I'd be happy if we could just decide on one type, and be done with it. I've actually had this conversation in the toilet paper aisle of the supermarket:

*RING RING*

"Hey honey...it's me. I'm trying to get toilet paper. What kind do we normally get? What do they have? Lots and lots....which one do we get....bears?...hmmm...I see a baby floating in a cloud...a couple of babies...one of them has something on her head.....there's the one with puppies....2 puppies?...I see one with three puppi...oh wait...I see the bears...which one should I get?....hmmmm...okay, there's a bear that's mooning me, and then there's a bunch of bears having a picnic....I should get the picnic bears one?....OK."

ray hampton
08-28-2014, 7:28 PM
I'd be happy if we could just decide on one type, and be done with it. I've actually had this conversation in the toilet paper aisle of the supermarket:

*RING RING*

"Hey honey...it's me. I'm trying to get toilet paper. What kind do we normally get? What do they have? Lots and lots....which one do we get....bears?...hmmm...I see a baby floating in a cloud...a couple of babies...one of them has something on her head.....there's the one with puppies....2 puppies?...I see one with three puppi...oh wait...I see the bears...which one should I get?....hmmmm...okay, there's a bear that's mooning me, and then there's a bunch of bears having a picnic....I should get the picnic bears one?....OK."

I hope that the store was busy with the shoppers doing their shopping when you made this call

John Coloccia
08-28-2014, 8:24 PM
I hope that the store was busy with the shoppers doing their shopping when you made this call

I work from home, so I try to shop during the day when it's mostly empty. There was one young mom that was sort of giggling, obviously trying to make the same decision. When I got off the phone, I recommended the bears having a picnic.

Phil Thien
08-28-2014, 8:28 PM
I work from home, so I try to shop during the day when it's mostly empty. There was one young mom that was sort of giggling, obviously trying to make the same decision. When I got off the phone, I recommended the bears having a picnic.

What would Freud say?

John Coloccia
08-28-2014, 8:48 PM
What would Freud say?

Sometimes naked animals frolicking in the woods are just naked animals frolicking in the woods.

ray hampton
08-28-2014, 9:20 PM
Sometimes naked animals frolicking in the woods are just naked animals frolicking in the woods.

the animals wear a fur coat

Gordon Eyre
08-28-2014, 9:59 PM
If it ain't broke ........ Just saying!

Jim Rimmer
08-29-2014, 1:29 PM
If the manufacturers save 1 penny per roll, that's $17 million a year (based on info in Phil's link). That's the reason for the change so don't tell me it's an environmental issue. I was born at night, but not last night. :D

Ted Calver
08-31-2014, 9:49 PM
While you are all fussing about the new no roll paper, the manufacturers have slyly reduced the width of the roll by at least a quarter of an inch. The missus noticed this about six months back and started switching brands to keep the wider rolls. Now most of them seem to have gone to the skinny roll. I'm surprised because I haven't noticed a corresponding reduction in the size of our populations' bottoms. :)

Jerry Bruette
08-31-2014, 9:55 PM
Maybe taking the roll out was nothing but a diversion for the skinnier sheets.:rolleyes:

Bill Orbine
09-01-2014, 12:08 AM
If it ain't broke ........ Just saying!

That's why we fold'em!:rolleyes:

Rick Potter
09-01-2014, 3:02 AM
Costco still has their house brand with full size sheets......right next to the Charmin that was made smaller.

Brian Elfert
09-01-2014, 8:46 AM
I personally don't like TP that is really plush and thick. It is too hard to wipe with. I like the Target store brand TP. They started making the rolls bigger , but now the cores have gotten huge! The big rolls probably have the same amount of paper now as the old standard size rolls. The TP holders at my parent's house don't work very well with big rolls so I would just as well have a standard size roll.

daniel lane
09-05-2014, 1:31 PM
If this toilet paper roll thing takes, I guess we'll have some $6.99 plastic version of the toilet paper roll core at target that people will throw away (along with the plastic packaging it comes in) once their kid is no longer small.

Oh, it doesn't even have to take. They've been around for a while. (http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Object-Choking-Tester/dp/B0062TNEOC) :/

daniel

daniel lane
09-05-2014, 1:36 PM
Ooooooo...fanning the flames. I hear from cat folks that over the top is bad since kitty likes to unravel them. I can see that. Our cat has unraveled a few rolls here and there but it isn't a chronic thing so over the top we remain!

My last cat would unravel the roll, so I turned it backwards. That pissed him off, so he would SHRED the entire roll as punishment. I put it back over the top and he would unroll about 15 feet, I'd just roll it back up.

The new kitty doesn't care about toilet paper or even the tubes, so I make sure they are all over-the-top in the house. My wife repeatedly installs TP under-the-bottom, and I always change it, and she's never said a word. I wonder if one day I'll wake up dead because she's been harboring this secret grudge against me for it...

daniel

ray hampton
09-05-2014, 2:07 PM
My last cat would unravel the roll, so I turned it backwards. That pissed him off, so he would SHRED the entire roll as punishment. I put it back over the top and he would unroll about 15 feet, I'd just roll it back up.

The new kitty doesn't care about toilet paper or even the tubes, so I make sure they are all over-the-top in the house. My wife repeatedly installs TP under-the-bottom, and I always change it, and she's never said a word. I wonder if one day I'll wake up dead because she's been harboring this secret grudge against me for it...

daniel

there is a short-cut to ending this toilet-paper and that is to install a commode that will wash the bottom before you
stand -up

Chris Padilla
09-05-2014, 2:53 PM

daniel

HA! That is pretty funny...cats have quite the personality. I change all ours to over the top but I've made it known throughout the household how it should be installed so naturally my wife and daughter install it the other way. Wives and daughters are funny, too, I guess. ;)

Myk Rian
09-05-2014, 6:21 PM
Wives and daughters are funny, too, I guess. ;)
They are felines after all, aren't they?

daniel lane
09-05-2014, 8:21 PM
They are felines after all, aren't they?

What's the old punchline? "Cats are just tiny little women in cheap fur coats." Something like that...

Bill Edwards(2)
09-06-2014, 10:43 AM
There are solutions for everything.

This solves several things discussed here.

David Helm
09-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Can't believe this thread is still going. Regarding cats and TP; I have two (cats that is) and they have never unrolled the toilet paper even though it is installed to come over the top. Reason? Don't let the cats in the bathrooms. Seems to me a pretty simple solution.

Anthony Diodati
09-08-2014, 2:25 PM
That cat of mine, l let her in the bathroom un supervised to drink some water from the sink, and she shred a whole roll again.
I had thought she had grown out of it.
Yes, normally I do keep her out of there.

Chris Padilla
09-08-2014, 5:38 PM
Can't believe this thread is still going. Regarding cats and TP; I have two (cats that is) and they have never unrolled the toilet paper even though it is installed to come over the top. Reason? Don't let the cats in the bathrooms. Seems to me a pretty simple solution.

Kitty's litter box is in the bathroom. :)

David Helm
09-08-2014, 7:55 PM
Kitty's litter box is in the bathroom. :)

It may be time to rethink litter box placement. Our cats are outside all day so there is no litter box. When we go away overnight we put the litter box in the laundry room. No toilet paper there!

Chris Padilla
09-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Our cat stays in the house (although she tries to get out and is often successful if we forget to lock the screen door) and the bathroom is the only logical place for her box.

daniel lane
09-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Our cat stays in the house because she has a 4 hour lifespan if she ever gets out! We live on the far southern edge of Las Vegas, I can walk to BLM desert land in less than 5 minutes. Coyotes abound. When the vet tried to get us to chip Opal, I suggested the only value it had was to identify the scat that contained the chip - he really had no argument against that.

daniel

Chris Padilla
09-09-2014, 11:23 AM
LOL! Yeah I'm basically in the 'burbs so racoons and squirrels and the occasional skunk are about it here. We have the rare bird of prey dropping it every once in a while, too. Ours is a rescue cat so she came pre-chipped...and pre-ornery. ;)

David Helm
09-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I live in the country with wetlands and public land all around. Plenty of coyotes, hawks and eagles here too. Cats learn to be smart about where they go and how they go about it. Helps if you start them out when young.