PDA

View Full Version : Our finest outdoor structure to date...

Kelly C. Hanna
07-07-2005, 8:21 PM
Even though it was around 98-100 degrees each day and magnified into the 110's off the concrete patio, Lamar and I managed to build this structure. The homeowner designed it himself, we just said yeah we can do it. It's our first one of this design, but I bet it won't be the last.

The deck was re-decked using the existing framing...something we don't like to do, but cost was an issue and with a few improvements, the framework was salvaged. Had it been my choice, we'd have reframed everything.

The posts are 6x6, the beams 4x6 and the rafters 2x6 & 2x4 with horseheads on each one. The sunburst gables were a second thought as was the swing beam we installed. The lattice backdrop was built by hand to match a design the owner saw on the web.

We used Con-Heart Redwood for decking and the bench and Western Red Cedar for the Pergola. The skirt is made from Cedar fence boards and has become a signature item on our decks. Just thought you might like to see what we've been up to lately.

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/Decks26.html

There's a few other projects marked new on this page (http://www.hannawoodworks.com/photos.html), mostly decks and pergolas this time of year. Weird that after Monday we are doing some cabinet work for a change. I don't think either one of us is going to have hurt feelings for missing out on the heat though!!! :eek:

Richard Wolf
07-07-2005, 8:32 PM
Very nice work and excellent website. That outside construction is either very cold or very hot, only a handful of good days, right?

Richard

Cecil Arnold
07-07-2005, 8:36 PM
Very nice Kelly. I can imagine how hot it was, I was working in the garage painting and almost melted.

Vaughn McMillan
07-07-2005, 9:01 PM
Very nice, Kelly. How will you keep the shingles from falling through the slots in the roof? :p

Just kidding, it looks great. What finish did you use on the deck? It is wet, or does it just look that way?

- Vaughn

Kelly C. Hanna
07-07-2005, 9:04 PM
Only a handful is right Richard....but they are sooo nice when we get them. Today it never crested 80* but I never left the house. Going to go back to work tomorrow and you watch...95 and moisture rising from the ground....FUN!!

The owner wanted to use Thompson's the first time around, then he'll stain it later himself. He'll need a lot of patience to stain the roof!!!

Joe Mioux
07-07-2005, 9:17 PM

The owner wanted to use Thompson's the first time around, then he'll stain it later himself. He'll need a lot of patience to stain the roof!!!

Kelly: That is a very good looking lath house and AMEN to the owner having to have alot of patience staining the roof. At my first house I did just that. Getting between all the lath does require patience.

Again congrats and thank you for posting your latest project
Joe

Mike Stanton
07-08-2005, 12:13 AM
:D Very beautiful. Nice work Kelly Mike

Mark Singer
07-08-2005, 1:36 AM
Kelly,

realy well done.....a beautiul job!

lloyd morris
07-08-2005, 7:03 AM
Kelly,

Excellent work, it looks beautiful.

Lloyd Morris

Dale Rodabaugh
07-08-2005, 7:03 AM
Looks great,but dontcha think the roof will leak?:D :D :D

John Hart
07-08-2005, 7:14 AM
Nice work Kelly...I like the floor. Around here, all the decks are kinda rough. Yours is very refreshing to these tired eyes.

Tyler Howell
07-08-2005, 8:17 AM
Too nice Kelly,

Beautiful work.:cool:

Bob Marino
07-08-2005, 8:28 AM
Very nice, Kelly. Thompson's on the deck?

Bob

Kelly C. Hanna
07-08-2005, 8:44 AM
Bob,

Amazingly enough he asked for Thompson's. We had offered to stain it before it went up for a few extra bucks, but he declined and said he'd stain it himself later..:D:D:D

After seeing it up I wonder if he has second thoughts?

Yep the roof's gonna leak, we're not good at shingles...:D Thanks for the kind words guys!

Sam Blasco
07-08-2005, 8:49 AM
Looks like it will be around for awhile. Really like the gable design.

Jim Becker
07-08-2005, 8:57 AM
Wow, Kelly! That's super!!

Chris Padilla
07-08-2005, 2:36 PM
Excellent job, Kelly!

Jim O'Dell
07-08-2005, 11:11 PM
I like it!! The sun burst is especially neat! Keep up the good work, guys! Jim.

Corey Hallagan
07-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Wow, that is a great looking pergula and deck. Beautiful work!

Corey

Gail O'Rourke
07-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Kelly, I was surfing your site earlier, really excellent work. Great job.

Dan Forman
07-09-2005, 3:51 AM
Kelly---Very cool, wish I had one!

Dan

Christian Aufreiter
07-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Very nice. Never noticed that you had a website. Spent quite some time checking out all those great projects.

Regards,

Christian