PDA

View Full Version : 5-3/8" Cordless Circular Saw advice

james mc guire
08-27-2014, 11:19 AM
hello I'm looking for a small "mini"type 5-3/8" Cordless Circular Saw,doesn't ave to be cordless or 5-3/8",but I don't want the bigger 6-7" saw.I have a full size 7" saw for big work;I want the smaller size for two reasons, 1.I have become a person in a wheelchair so using my heavy corded saw in a sitting position is just scary and unsafe.2.it's just going to cut down sheet goods,I have a miter saw for lumber;and again a table saw doesn't feel safe to me in a chair.plus I ave a small shop and floor space to move around in a chair means that's out.so my question is what would you by as far as a small type saw?brand and model a plus!I have a dewalt cordless 18v drill so I like the idea of using that battery pack.but it doesn't ave to be one.

Tom M King
08-27-2014, 11:27 AM
See if you can find one of the older Porter Cable/Rockwell 4-1/2" worm-drives. It's a great little corded saw, and I don't know of anything any lighter, but still has plenty of power for sheet goods.

I have one of the newest models of 18v Makita's, and it's a great little cordless. It's great at not throwing dust out the front or all around, and dumps most of it out the left side. That may not be such a great thing for you, as it might dump it all in your lap.

Mark Bolton
08-27-2014, 11:28 AM
If you dont absolutely have to have cordless I would opt for a small corded trim saw over the cordless but thats just my $0.02. I have owned several cordless skill saws that have come as part of packages and they are all basically useless in short order. They are very power hungry and the instant the blade loses its edge or the batteries start to get weak the performance plummets. They are fine for a single cut or two here or there or for working in tight/precarious/high places but other than that I havent found them to be worth while for even light use.

We currently have a Makita 18v LiOn saw that may come out of the trailer once in a great while. We've just not had good luck with them at all.

I would even opt for something like the 4 1/2" rockwell corded circular saw provided the blade choices as cost was reasonable.

Peter Quinn
08-27-2014, 11:54 AM
I have a hilti cordless, around 5 3/8", super powerful, accurate when necessary, longest battery life I've ever experienced. And for this you pay dearly. I've taken it up a ladder to cut sub fascia flush with rake boards, it had gone up on the roof to cut 60' of ridge for venting, used it for shingle and ship lap siding jobs. Very versatile. I hear the Milwaukee cordless is a close second place for significantly less, haven't used one but they have a good hand feel. Makita makes a cordless track saw for breaking down sheet goods, no idea about battery life.

Paul Wunder
08-27-2014, 1:22 PM
James,

Have you thought of using a Track Saw? If you are not familiar with that concept, it is basically a circular saw that rides within a track. The track is secured to the wood that you want to cut and although the circular saw is full size I think that the ergonomics will work for you. Additionally, a good track saw can replace your table saw. If you Google "Track Saws" you will find a number of popular models and they all work in a similar fashion. Some popular brands are:

Festool
DeWalt
Makita
Grizzly

There are plenty of videos showing them in action.

I have a Grizzly and it works very well for me at about $250. Other brands are more expensive.

I wish you the best and I hope that your situation is temporary. My wife has been wheelchair bound for almost 15 years, Yes, her horizons have been limited, but with ingenuity we have found many work arounds for the things that she loves to do.

Welcome to the Creek. There are plenty of good folks here who I'm sure would love to help you. Please keep reaching out.